Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or was there a Ford stock shifter in 1970 and Hurst stuff for an upgrade? We're talking about an F-code 1970 coupe.

·
Registered
10,599 Posts
All 70 4-speed got the Hurst shifter, 3 speed got the Ford shifter.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That explains a lot! Thanks. Do you happen to know if the only difference with all of the shifter linkage and such between a Cleveland and a Windsor-type motor is the Z-bar itself, or is the rest of that linkage different between the two?

I am thinking of buying a 1970 302 parts car (manual) to convert a 351 Cleveland Mach I have to a manual transmission, and I'm wanting to know what else I need, in addition to what is already in the 302/4 speed parts car.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
I converted a '72 Mach 1 w/351c over to a manual, using parts from a '72 302 3spd car, everything fit. I also replaced the 289 in my '67 with a 351c. All of the clutch linkage fit off the 289 onto the 351c. Since both engines use the same motor mounts and bellhousing, the trans will sit in exactly the same place and use the same linkage. The only possible issue could be exhaust clearance.

Joe

·
Registered
10,599 Posts
joe69 said:
The only possible issue could be exhaust clearance.
Ditto. The Z-bars were normally changed only for clearance of the exhaust pipe/manifold. If you use headers, you should be fine with any SB V-8 Z-bar.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
if i recall, the "Hurst shifter" was a hurst handle but ford linkage.

·
Registered
10,599 Posts
dmac0923 said:
if i recall, the "Hurst shifter" was a hurst handle but ford linkage.
The 70-73 Hurst 4 speed shifter was a real Hurst Competition Plus shifter box and was made especially for Ford. It varied from the aftermarket Hurst Comp + shifter in that had a removable handle and used snap-in urethane bushings instead of the thin nylon bushings and spring clips. It has a slghtly softer feel. The handle was retained with a snap clip and rubber bushed to prevent shifter "buzz". The linkage rods bear Ford part numbers, who they were actually made by, I have no idea.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts