Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the correct finish on the accellerator bellcrank (the swivel rod that attaches to the firewall) on a '67 manual trans smallblock Mustang?

Semi-gloss black, bare metal, phosphate, something else?

Thanks,
James

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Charles. How would you recommend phosphating such a long part? Normally I dip bolts and stuff in phosphoric acid and then coat them, but my tub of acid is too small for that bellcrank. Have you got a larger container that you use for hood hinges and stuff like that?

Hey, by the way, how many posts does it take to break out of "Lurker" status? I'm well above 200 and I'm still on the bottom rung.

G

·
0 Posts
I have a big stainless pot that Pete lent me. Not sure if it's big enough, but you're welcome to try it out. The other alternative is gun bluing or paint.

Since your ID was probably carried over from the last forum software, your status will not change unless you create a new account... OR... get a moderator to give you a custom one.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The bellcrank should come in a few days. I'll give you a call when it comes in.

As far as my lurker status is concerned, I like the sound of option number two. If you have any pull with the boss-man, maybe I can have some cool custom tag like...well, I don't know but it might be cool.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Here's a cheap way to do it.

Get a cardboard box big enough for the part. Line it with a thick sheet of plastic. Put the part into the box and then strategically place blocks of wood UNDER the plastic to make a custom fit around the part. This ensures that you use the minimum amount of acid to cover the part.

Remember that some of it will evaporate overnight. You do NOT want any of the part sticking up out of the acid or it will cause unsightly deposits. Make sure to cover the part thoroughly.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I would never have thought of that. Would that idea be classified as thinking out of the box, or thinking in the box? ;-)

The solution I've got directs me to soak the parts for just a minute or two. You're saying you leave parts in overnight? What is the composition of your solution. Do you use straight phosphoric acid or some other mixture?

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
I cut the acid (bought at Home Depot) 3:1 with distilled water. I can leave the part in it for 24 hours no problem.

After 48 hours it starts to eat the metal. Ask me how I know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts