Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Vendor
5,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to plumb my pump to carb fuel line with Aeroquip reusable fittings and braided hose.

Can anybody tell me the adapter to get from a Carter mechanical fuel pump to 6AN? Is it 1/2x20 - 6AN?

I also need to know the thread pitch on the Edelbrock 1406 carb I have. Is it something like 5/8x20?

Thanks for all your help guys and girls!

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
It appears you need a #5 SAE male to #6 JIC male. The former has 1/2" 20 tpi threads and an o-ring for sealing.

This would translate to a C5315x6x5 Weatherhead fitting number. This is a steel fitting. If you need this fitting in inverted flare (SAE side), I can only find it in a 5/16" or #5 JIC male.

Likely, Aeroquip, Russell and Earls have these in aluminum but I don't have the part numbers handy.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Regarding the carb fitting, there should be a 5/8 18 SAE straight or inverted flare to #6 JIC adapter available.

In inverted flare, the Weatherhead number is C5880x6. That's 5/8 18 interted flare to #6 JIC male.

In straight thread SAE (o-ring seal), I can't find one with a 5/8 18 thread. They go from 9/16" to 3/4". That doesn't mean they don't exist in aircraft fittings.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
BTW, a common carb adapter size is 7/8-20, which is used on Holleys. I don't know for sure about Carters/Edelbrocks as I've never run one *G*

·
Vendor
5,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Pat,

Thanks for all your help so far. I know where I can find all the fittings in the world that I need. That's half the problem! LOL! There are so many of them I have no idea what size I need for my carb...

I think it is a 5/8 that I need. I want to run an adapter out of the carb then put a 90* 6AN swivel fitting on it to shoot me out the way I need... It's the thread on the carb side of the adapter I don't know what is...

These little guys are only $3-$4 each, I may just take a stab in the dark and order a couple of different sizes...

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
OK, try here

I saw that 5/8" 20 Carter adapter down the page a bit. No part number though...

Haven't been able to nail down the fuel pump adapter but will post back if something shows up...

·
Registered
359 Posts
Regarding the carb fitting, there should be a 5/8 18 SAE straight or inverted flare to #6 JIC adapter available.

In inverted flare, the Weatherhead number is C5880x6. That's 5/8 18 interted flare to #6 JIC male.
Wow, now I'm more confused than ever. I know about AN fittings (I guess) and NPT, but what's JIC? And outside of the context of electrical service, what's a weatherhead?

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Sounds like me and computers, eh? *G*

Weatherhead is a hydraulic fitting manufacture and JIC is Joint Industry Council, a standards orgainization for hydraulic standards, among others. Physically, JIC fittings mimic AN fittings as to flare angle and most thread pitches and sizes. I have a number of JIC fittings on the race car where I didn't want to spend a fortune on AN fittings. The downside is that JIC fittings are steel, which is heavier.

Usually, when faced with oddball adapters, I simply chuck a piece of aluminum or brass in the lather and make one. All this part number stuff gives me a headache...*G*

·
Vendor
5,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It was during our handshake yesterday that I downloaded your 'To Do' List! ::

I'll let you know what I find out. I'm gonna order a few fittings this week and have a go at it.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Physically, JIC fittings mimic AN fittings as to flare angle and most thread pitches and sizes. I have a number of JIC fittings on the race car where I didn't want to spend a fortune on AN fittings. The downside is that JIC fittings are steel, which is heavier.
Thanks for the clarification. I'll file that away for future reference.

Usually, when faced with oddball adapters, I simply chuck a piece of aluminum or brass in the lather and make one. All this part number stuff gives me a headache...*G*
Yes, Virginia, there are some real tangible benefits to being a machinist. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts