Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out and looked to see exactly what steering box I have and as suspected, its the HCC AT box. So, now I'm faced with a decision. Do I send this box to Chock to rebuild and add a roller Shelby quick steer kit to it OR do I need to find a 16:1 box and put the quick steer kit on it? I'm not following Patrick, Allen and Mark down the track rabbit hole (at least not now), but I live in the NC foothills and I DO love to hit the twisties every chance I get.

Will it be quick enough with the slow box or do I need to start looking for the quicker ratio????

·
Registered
735 Posts
I put the quick steer kit on my 19:1 box and definitely noticed a significant difference for the better. I've since added a 16:1 box that Chock rebuilt, but I haven't installed it yet. My plan is to keep running it with the quick steer kit, since I have it. I can't give you direct advice since I've not experienced the 16:1 box with the quick steer kit yet, but the little info I could find with the same equipment seemed to indicate that the quick steer doesn't make the 16:1 box a huge bear to live with. That being said - the slow box and quick steer kit definitely was an improvement.

Reactions: Russstang

·
Premium Member
4,312 Posts
I have the 16:1 box and have hesitated doing the Quick Steer kit for a street car. I'm no weakling, but navigating a parking spot (especially with a fountain drink in one hand) can be aggravating as-is and if I add the QS... I was thinking of doing so with a roller idler bearing, but that's gonna really take a LOT of caster to get some return-to-center I think.
Also, does the Quick Steer Pitman and idler work with power steering?

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, hopefully someone can weigh in who has gone from 19:1 to quick steer to 16:1 with quick steer. Since I don't have interior in or an engine in at this point, would like to get it right the first time while it's easier to get the box in and out.

·
Premium Member
4,312 Posts
The last time I updated my steering components was 25 years ago.
I have everything to add power steering to my car but trying to decide if A) the Quick Steer is a good mix with that or if I should B) just switch to a roller idler bearing, or C) both A and B...
Need to hear from @CHOCK on this one.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The box will be quick enough for street driving, the driver is debatable... ;)

I would bite the bullet and only install it once...

Allen
oh I got mad skilz yo...

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Sure like to have the magic answers for all folks/applications/and various pieces. The only problem why I can't answer all questions is the batteries ran out on my Crystal Balls (got 2, ). Can't find any cotton picking batteries anywhere that will repower my balls. They are old by the way!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Thinking about this - wouldn't a 16:1 with a quick steer kit basically be like driving a '65-'66 GT350? Wouldn't all of those cars have been manual steering, quick box, and quick steer kit? I've never heard about one of those cars being unbearable to drive on the street. Just a thought.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, at the risk of a rant, or Chock flaunting his battery operated balls, does anyone have the quick down and dirty turns lock to lock for 19:1, 19:1 with quick steer, 16:1 and finally 16:1 with quick steer?

·
Premium Member
4,312 Posts
@CHOCK just thought maybe you'd know if the Quick Steer geometry was safe and would work on a 66 with 16:1 and factory type power assist. I wonder what the final ratio is...
@PB65stang that's a good point. I haven't done the Arning / Shelby drop on this car but have thought about doing all this at once...drop, QS, PS...while I have it in the air. My shoulders/joints are getting older.
@Russstang the 19:1 is about 5 turns lock to lock, 16:1 is about 4. Would love to know with the QS kit.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
@CHOCK just thought maybe you'd know if the Quick Steer geometry was safe and would work on a 66 with 16:1 and factory type power assist. I wonder what the final ratio is...
@PB65stang that's a good point. I haven't done the Arning / Shelby drop on this car but have thought about doing all this at once...drop, QS, PS...while I have it in the air. My shoulders/joints are getting older.
@Russstang the 19:1 is about 5 turns lock to lock, 16:1 is about 4. Would love to know with the QS kit.
Folks. I have to admit, declare, I'm old school, set in my ways, and will continue to be just that. I know very little about what will happen when X aftermarket part is used with Z aftermarket part.
Only thing I can relate is the 16 to 1 box will need more muscle to turn a Mustang with no power assist. Adding a Quick steering pitman, Get more muscle. Longer Idler--More beer for courage.
Then, I ask myself WHY. These old Mustang drive great with stock parts. If a serious racer, not a driver, then add all the components to be that, a racer you will use on track only.
Dan

·
Premium Member
4,312 Posts
^^^ makes sense to me.

·
Registered
6,122 Posts
Mines ~3.25 lock to lock on a 16:1 with quick steer parts.

Not sure you'll find a 19:1 with quick steer parts. But if my math is correct, it would make it about 4 turns lock to lock. 3.25/4 = .8125, 5 x .8125 = 4.06.

@CHOCK get those crystal balls hid...

Allen

·
Registered
3,712 Posts

Not sure you'll find a 19:1 with quick steer parts. But if my math is correct, it would make it about 4 turns lock to lock. 3.25/4 = .8125, 5 x .8125 = 4.06.

Allen
Allen,
Thank You for comment.
Carol tries to help with the problem--But the issue is complicated by aging of the components.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Folks. I have to admit, declare, I'm old school, set in my ways, and will continue to be just that. I know very little about what will happen when X aftermarket part is used with Z aftermarket part.
Only thing I can relate is the 16 to 1 box will need more muscle to turn a Mustang with no power assist. Adding a Quick steering pitman, Get more muscle. Longer Idler--More beer for courage.
Then, I ask myself WHY. These old Mustang drive great with stock parts. If a serious racer, not a driver, then add all the components to be that, a racer you will use on track only.
Dan
I’m good with all that Chock, even the old and set in your ways. I promise you I can relate. I guess what I’m really digging for is do I need to replace my 19:1 box with a 16:1 for quicker steering or can I just put the quick steer on it and be similar? If I need a new box, look at your messages on here. I need to do business with you one way or the other.

·
Registered
20,998 Posts
I have a 16:1 box in my car. I also have 72 spindles. When I was quickly comparing another set of 72 spindles I have to the stock 66 spindles, I noticed the later spindles have shorter tie rod arms. In theory I would think will quicken the steering as well. I run 4° caster too.

Yes the geometry of the later spindles are different, you can make them work just fine.

·
Registered
735 Posts

Allen
I did the 19:1 with quick steer for several years, for exactly the reason you outline above. It got me the same turns lock to lock as a 16:1 box for half the price. The math seems right - my wheel was about 4 turns lock to lock.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I did the 19:1 with quick steer for several years, for exactly the reason you outline above. It got me the same turns lock to lock as a 16:1 box for half the price. The math seems right - my wheel was about 4 turns lock to lock.
Thanks, that's exactly what I was digging for. Now I need to pull my box and get it to Chock and then get with John for some quick steer roller parts. I have Granada spindles and it "seems" it quickened it up a tad from before. I think with the quick steer kit I'll be satisfied.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
I’m good with all that Chock, even the old and set in your ways. I promise you I can relate. I guess what I’m really digging for is do I need to replace my 19:1 box with a 16:1 for quicker steering or can I just put the quick steer on it and be similar? If I need a new box, look at your messages on here. I need to do business with you one way or the other.
If it was me, I'd keep a rebuilt 19 to one box (Much cheaper than the pricy 16 to one) ad the quick steer.
Now the other side of equation--Is your 19 to 1 beyond rebuilding? Many are. Sorry to throw out another curve.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts