Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do i really need the pedal with the welded on bracket for the AT? what exactly does it do? the assembly i have is broken off MIA really not trying to buy another one especially since i will be switching from an auto to man as soon as i can afford to? so what happens if i install this one with and auto tranny?

·
Registered
35,892 Posts
What bracket? This is an A/T pedal:

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
I think he means the kickdown linkage bracket mounted on the firewall. You can live without it, especially if you will swapping to stick soon. I drove without one for years. But it was a lot more fun once I finally had it installed correctly...

MrFreeze

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Exactly! and that is almost what i wanted to hear, what exactly does it do and why is it better? its going to be a couple years i'm sure before switching to a manual, the 408 stroker and tko600 are many many $$$$ away so i'm trowing in something in the mean time so i can take this sweetheart on some dates but of course it won't be driving much at all.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
What it does is allow a connection point for the passing gear cable from the trans.
So when you stomp the gas pedal to the floor it drops down into a lower gear.

Without it you have to manually drop the gear selector from "D" to 2nd or 1.

If you really want one I have one for half of what PP are asking.

·
Registered
35,892 Posts
What it does is allow a connection point for the passing gear cable from the trans.
So when you stomp the gas pedal to the floor it drops down into a lower gear.

Without it you have to manually drop the gear selector from "D" to 2nd or 1.
Yeah, without the kickdown mechanism, acceleration will suck unless you manually downshift the shift lever every time you hit the gas. Not too bad for a couple weeks, but a couple years of that will really get old.

BTW, the 64 1/2 had a totally different kickdown system, which did not include that lever.

Get a new or used throttle with the lever, and Drake has a kit that includes all the other parts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts