Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
real quick while im wahsing the dishes haha, can i drop the oil pan on my 66 without having to remove that large support brace that runs right behind the sump ? im going to go out and go for it after im done here. TIA

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jesus, i just tried to break the bolts loose on the stabalizer bar, even with the large breaker bar i CANNOT get those MF-ers to BUDGe !.. what the hell should i do now, this is pissin me off hah *)(^_(*@^_#(*^

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I wouldn't recommend doing that! Busted both bolts off on mine when I did it. By the way they are 1/2-13 UNC.

You should be able to get the pan off without removing the lower crossmember. Admittedly, it's been 20 years since I tried...you may have to unbolt a motor mount and lift the engine.

Sorry if I mislead you...

Oh - and the crosmember bolts - hit em with PB Blaster for the next couple of nights and you MAY get em loose.

Frank

·
Registered
359 Posts
From my own experience, I would say probably not. Both the crossmember and the steering idler arm will have to be moved. The steering idler arm is easier than it looks, though. Two bolts on the bracket and you can move it out of the way. You might be able to squeeze the pan out without moving the idler arm, but if memory serves me (and it frequently doesn't) you'll definitely have to remove the crossmember.

My experiences are written up here and here.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Agree with Jester ... remove both the x-member and idler arm bolts. Even then it will be a tight fit and you'll probably have to drop the oil pump into the pan, then slide the pan out. Also agree with the PB BLaster as much as you can on the x-member bolts, then use an impact gun if you have one available.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts