Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for a new motor for my 1967 Coupe 3spd. I found this on craigslist in my area and am going to check it out. After looking at this ad is this something that will drop into my 1967 without too much hassle. I know that it is fuel injected so there will be some wiring for that...what other changes would have to be made if any? Thanks for the help I am a novice but am really excited about this car!

306 mustang moter

·
Registered
14 Posts
Like you said, you'd need wiring harnesses. Plus a high pressure fuel pump and fuel lines (return line as well), computer and all related sensors - O2, MAF, etc. You can just as well remove the efi intake and replace it with a carb/intake.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Proform rockers are junk....you would need a new set of quality rockers....

The 24lb injectors will require a substantial throttle body (about 250.00) and tuning......I would ditch the EFI and go to a good dual plane intake with a carb....but that is just me..

Tom

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Just heard back from him, 2,000 without the intake and efi stuff. Should I be skeptical that the motor hasnt been cranked since the machine shop? Compression is 8.5 : 1

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
You never know what you are buying inside, and how ell the work was done...if work was done well, 2K would be a good number....if there is a reason it has never been fired it might be a pig in a poke....

At the very least i would look at it, pull the plugs and roll the motor a few times. It should have resistance, but it should roll over smooth...look at all the gasket areas you can see, are they new, or have they just been painted over? Does the guy seem legit? will he let you pull a head? or at a minimum the oilpan?

This is always hard to judge......
Tom

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Lots of risk in buying a motor you can't hear run. You have to value it accordingly. About 25% over what you could get parting it out IMO.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts