Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when redoing my suspension, i had planned on adding a quick steer kit to my stock v8 manual steering. but, do the new pitman and idler arms really quicken my steering? if its not really worth it, i will just save my money for somethin else. since shelby used it, it must be good, but how good? if anyone could tell me if it really quickens the steering and how, id appreciate it ::

·
Registered
35,869 Posts
It sure does. The new pitman and idler arms are considerably LONGER than the stock arms and so, consequently, move a greater distance over the same number of degrees as the stock arms. I have both the quick steer and a 16:1 box and the steering response is EXCELLENT. Of course, parallel parking can be a little chore if you have manual steering, but it's good for my arm muscles (lol)

·
Registered
267 Posts
I agree with Bart. The quick steer kit has been on my 65 HiPo since new, and it definately works great to quicken up the steering. However, unless you're built like Arnold, forget about parallel parking, especially if you have any decent size front wheel/tire.

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
I have the quick steer kit as well.

It quickens the steering from 4 turns lock to lock to about 3.5 turns.

I also have the Flaming River 16:1 box and I don't think the steering effort is all that bad. The FR box makes the steering so much easier compared to the old manual 19:! box.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts