Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 70mach1, 351W, the engine has new cam, intake, demon Carb etc, and MSD ignition, pretty hopped up motor... anyway my question is does the timing get set just like normal (using factory markings and timing light) or will all of that be different? It was built by someone who knew what he was doing (not me) but I no longer have access to him. I know basic timing set stuff but will I set it just like normal?

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
will I set it just like normal?
Probably not, what with the cam and especially the MSD ignition. You should shoot for around 36 degrees of total advance. Assumming that MSD ignition means an MSD distributor as well, you simply look to see what bushing you have in, subtract that from 36 and that's where you should start with the initial. So if you have the 24 degree bushing, you would set the initial to 12.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
What Johnpro said. Also, it's always a good idea to ensure that top-dead-centre (TDC) on the balancer is, in fact, TDC. (It is very common for the outer ring of the balancer to rotate slightly over time; I think mine was out by about 5-degrees.) It's a pretty simple process using a TDC tool (basically a positive stop that you screw into the #1 sparkplug hole: rotate the engine until it stops, mark the balancer, then rotate in the opposite direction and mark your balancer again. TDC is exactly between these two marks.) If the factory mark is off you can correct it by installing a cheap ($5) "timing tape".

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
I assume you have iron heads so the 36 degree total is a good maximum. The normal mechanical advance curve would probably be too long and too slow. Depending on how wild cam and compression you have, you might need something like 16 initial and 20 mechanical all in by 3000rpm. Stock curve can be like 30 mechanical all in by 4500rpm, which would set the initial to 6 degrees, which is too little.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses, it doesnt need setting just curious for future reference since I have all MSD stuff now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts