Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
While one would think the law is clear, in the real world its subjective, and its often up to the accused to hire legal counsel to prove otherwise . I once got a ticket for disorderly conduct because my Monte Carlo SS chirped the tires shifting into second gear. In the same car I was also accused of going over 100mph simply by sound by a state trooper who had another car pulled over when I passed on the highway at 65mph. The car had 4.11 gears!
You sound like you have been around Florida cops.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I always got a kick out of the NHRA Stock Eliminator class. Remembered seeing the specs for a '68 camaro that was running 10.8s. Don't have it book marked. Rules are strict, stock heads no porting, stock size valves... Shift points were over 8,000. I think he was running 4.56 gears. I'll see if I can find it later. ( no one here may be interested but I want to find it anyway). This was in the early 2000's. I think the car was called ol' reliable. It was a small block

Not the source I remembered but same car. it was 5.57 gears. shown at the end of the page. http://z28camaro.com/old-reliable/ same guy, next car
The sound is just awesome.
...and a 3 in the tree... wow!

·
Registered
223 Posts
For the life of me I can’t figure out how these threads get derailed.
Those guys surely would not like the way I drive!
Heh... me neither. I try to be good, really I do. But torque... sorry, that throttle just has a mind of its own once in a while. Not often... and no tickets in several years, none with the new car... but hey, you gotta enjoy the drive once in a while. :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
65/66 Shelbys typically came with 3.89 gears. The 3.80's would be fine as long as you do not expect to do a bunch of highway driving at 80 mph. I say get the posi pumpkin and give them a whirl. If you find you do not like them you can change them out.

As others have said, traction is the limiting factor. Any given tire on a particular car will break loose when a certain amount of torque is applied. The rear end ratio serves to multiply the torque. A set of 3.80 gears is going to apply about 7% more torque to the tire than a 3.55 set of gears. If the tire to road combination can handle that torque without spinning, you will accelerate faster with the 3.80 gears.

"Will a modded 302 with 3.80 gears feel and appear faster than a comparably modded 351 with 3.25 gears?" - It will feel "quicker" if the 302 produces 85%, or more, of the torque the 351 does at launch RPMs and then gets into it's power band as quickly or quicker. The 351 does have an internal advantage of a 16% longer stroke. Does that translate into 16% more torque? Hard to say as there are too many variables.
This is the type of response I was looking for.
So hypothetically speaking
Car A. 302 engine with a edelbrock performer cam, headers and Edelbrock performer intake with a 650 carb and 3.5 gears.
Car B . 351 Engine with a edelbrock performer cam, headers and Edelbrock performer intake with a 650 card and 3.2 gears.

Who gets off the line first?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Heh... me neither. I try to be good, really I do. But torque... sorry, that throttle just has a mind of its own once in a while. Not often... and no tickets in several years, none with the new car... but hey, you gotta enjoy the drive once in a while. :)
Hey Dale I feel you, but we're not talking about tickets:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::):):):):):):):)

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
This is the type of response I was looking for.
So hypothetically speaking
Car A. 302 engine with a edelbrock performer cam, headers and Edelbrock performer intake with a 650 carb and 3.5 gears.
Car B . 351 Engine with a edelbrock performer cam, headers and Edelbrock performer intake with a 650 card and 3.2 gears.

Who gets off the line faster?
I vote B.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
No gas mileage is not really a concern, the car will be driven at most once a week on sundays, maybe twice in the summers.
Right now I am looking at installing some 3.80 gears. I was considering 3.55 but I just found a great deal on a pumpkin with posi and 3.8 gears
3.80's will be a "fun" street gear behind the C4. A slightly taller gear (3.55) would be a better gear for both street and highway, but if you got a good deal on the 3.80's, go for it!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
3.80's will be a "fun" street gear behind the C4. A slightly taller gear (3.55) would be a better gear for both street and highway, but if you got a good deal on the 3.80's, go for it!
I have been hearing both sides, " 3.80 with no AOD will suck on the highway".... "3.80 is not much more than a 3.55 so it wont be that bad" " Go 3.80 and have fun the bigger the better"
I thought I had this whole gearing thing figured out, but now Im just back at square one.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Many years ago mine still had a mostly stock 351W, C4, and 3.0:1 gears. I was driving through Alabama on a two lane road with a slow moving truck in front of me. So I floored it and maneuvered to pass. Then I saw two more slow trucks ahead of it. So I just kept the pedal down. By the time I passed all the trucks I was over 120mph. Felt awesome 😎

I was once pulled over for “exhibition of speed” in Columbus GA. I turned onto the freeway on-ramp and mashed the pedal. Got a little bit sideways but was controlled.
Got away with a warning 😉

·
Registered
237 Posts
Many years ago mine still had a mostly stock 351W, C4, and 3.0:1 gears. I was driving through Alabama on a two lane road with a slow moving truck in front of me. So I floored it and maneuvered to pass. Then I saw two more slow trucks ahead of it. So I just kept the pedal down. By the time I passed all the trucks I was over 120mph. Felt awesome 😎

I was once pulled over for “exhibition of speed” in Columbus GA. I turned onto the freeway on-ramp and mashed the pedal. Got a little bit sideways but was controlled.
Got away with a warning 😉
If exhibition of speed is a thing in Florida How have I not gotten a ticket. I’ve accelerated past cops before.

I think it’s just the Florida cops only pull you over when their angry haha.

I just do what I think is safe and not endangering others after that it’s destiny.

·
Super Moderator
8,854 Posts
I definitely disagree with you, accelerating off of a light is NOT illegal. Street racing however is. So is speeding. Theoretically if you accelerated quickly off a light and do not exceed the speed limit you would not be breaking any laws and not endangering any lives.

Also how is having a “ricer” poor judgment. You sound like a fun guy to be around.
Down here it’s specifically called, Improper Start, or generally more roughly classified as Careless Driving or even Reckless Driving.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Down here it’s specifically called, Improper Start, or generally more roughly classified as Careless Driving or even Reckless Driving.
It’s only illegal if you get caught right

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
So yea, I think that some people must be intentionally trying to hijack the thread. PLEASE READ THE ORIGINAL POST.
This is trying to get clarificationfor us Noobs.
So with that being said. I am now thinking I should just stay with my 302. I was considering building up a 408 but I think the right gearing on my 302 can give me the seat in the pants feeling want. With my components its already a torque monster and a lot of fun even with the 2.78 gears. I am certain the 3. 80 will be more than enough to suffice my needs

·
Registered
237 Posts
So yea, I think that some people must be intentionally trying to hijack the thread. PLEASE READ THE ORIGINAL POST.
So with that being said. I am now thinking I should just stay with my 302. I was considering building up a 408 but I think the right gearing on my 302 can give me the seat in the pants feeling want. With my components its already a torque monster and a lot of fun even with the 2.78 gears. I am certain the 3. 80 will be more than enough to suffice my needs
I feel you but it happens

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
ok then lets go with it......So for all of you nay sayers. I am assuming you all have inline 6's or 289's. What is the purpose of stroking motors or upgrading to performance parts if not to go faster

·
Premium Member
5,617 Posts
Mine is a roller 302 with Edelbrock Performer tops and 600 carb, FPA long tubes, a 3.73 (posi) and a T5z.
It's quick enough (for me anyways). :)

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
ok then lets go with it......So for all of you nay sayers. I am assuming you all have inline 6's or 289's. What is the purpose of stroking motors or upgrading to performance parts if not to go faster
So I've got a 331 with all the usual go fast stuff and mild 3.40 gears and super sticky 200 tread wear Bridgestone tires. The 3.40 gear is still too low for me as I run out of second gear on an autocross run.I guess I'm at 350-375hp and have no way to get it ALL to the ground even with sticky tires. So yes, "rice" can still beat me because they can still get it all to the ground. Guess I need to visit the Scooby Doo dealership tomorrow.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts