Vintage Mustang Forums banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I can’t think of a good reason! Ha!

As SHELBY said, you can never have enough horse power!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm running similar to 4ocious..roller 302 bored .30 over, balanced, GT40p, edelbrock with a holley 570 street avenger, JBA mid SS headers and full Magnaflow, 3.80 posi and a T5z.. Running Drag radials on the rear as it kept breaking loose.. it hooks up and goes now.. Plenty quick off the line for a weekend runner.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Don't fear the gear! At least if you have an overdrive transmission:cool: So many people spend thousands on engines that make power higher in the rev range and then neuter them with numerically high gears. My car only has a 306 with probably no more that 350-375 at the flywheel but I expect a low 12 to high 11 with traction now that I have a 9 inch that can hold it's drink without exploding. Yes I plan on putting a stroker in it but I will leave the 4:56 gears. I do have a 27 inch tall tire and overdrive and live where most of my driving is in the city or on two lane roads so I am not on the interstate that much. As always it depends on what your goals are.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I thought the same thing but what can I say.Military Vet. i am all things American
Oh I know, its a good thing I don't live where there is a big car scene anymore...now I just build them to suit my tastes, and honestly, these days I get a lot more fun out of building than racing them....actually pretty sure I always have...probably the biggest reason I do oddball things.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Hey fellow VMFers,

I came to me last night that there is a big difference between these two terms. Us newbies come on here asking how to make our cars faster and we usually get these elaborate stroker stories or upgrade suggestions but that isnt what us newbies are really after, we just dont know the difference.

SO as newbie let me know if I am on the right page.
I currently have a 67 coupe with a 302. AFR heads Air Gap intake yada yada yada. I thought I wanted the best performance mods for my car so i could take off from the light when these little rice burners pull up. So I went out and bought a 351 block with plans to build a 408 stroker.
It appears to me that what myself and a lot of other newbies on here really wanted was a gearing change. I dont need a car that can go 140mph (thats freakin scary). I need a car that when i push the accelerator the car goes very quickly.
a car with 3.55 gears will appear to be faster that a car with 2.78 gears is that correct.
To take this even farther, can gears offset displacement.
Will a modded 302 with 3.80 gears feel and appear faster than a comparably modded 351 with 3.25 gears?
I think I can answer one of your questions. "Will a modded 302 with 3.80 gears feel and appear faster than a comparably modded 351 with 3.25 gears?"
I am going to say no.. The 351 will pull away from the 302. I had a 302 with 3.89 gears in my 66 fastback. I also had a 351 with 3.25 gears in the same car.
The 351 felt faster on the street and proven faster at the track. The car was the same except engine and gears. Both engines had B303 cam and headers.
Whether low rpm take off, or punching it at highway speeds the 351 was better. I also had the 351 in a 65 coupe that was similiar in weight and on the street,
side by side the 351 car would pull away. Later the 3.89 gears were put in the 351-3.25 car and it was even faster, but traction was a lot worse. These cars had a C4
trans with 3000 stalls. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I think I can answer one of your questions. "Will a modded 302 with 3.80 gears feel and appear faster than a comparably modded 351 with 3.25 gears?"
I am going to say no.. The 351 will pull away from the 302. I had a 302 with 3.89 gears in my 66 fastback. I also had a 351 with 3.25 gears in the same car.
The 351 felt faster on the street and proven faster at the track. The car was the same except engine and gears. Both engines had B303 cam and headers.
Whether low rpm take off, or punching it at highway speeds the 351 was better. I also had the 351 in a 65 coupe that was similiar in weight and on the street,
side by side the 351 car would pull away. Later the 3.89 gears were put in the 351-3.25 car and it was even faster, but traction was a lot worse. These cars had a C4
trans with 3000 stalls. I hope this helps.
Yes this helps, allot . I really enjoy my 302 as it is even with the 2.78 gears. I am torn between putting in some 3.55 gears $300 install. Or buying a new pumpkin with Posi and 3.8 gears for $600. I dont have Overdrive yet but I pln on getting it. I also dont know if I will really NEEEED a 408 stroker down the line.
Being new to the scene I ws under the impression that the 408 sould just be a monster on the streets, but seeing as how I am building my first car Im not sure if I need that right now
Im thinking if I can get 325-350 RWHP out of my 302 with correct gearing that should be enough.
How many times have you guys said or heard that? lol

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Don't fear the gear! At least if you have an overdrive transmission:cool: So many people spend thousands on engines that make power higher in the rev range and then neuter them with numerically high gears. My car only has a 306 with probably no more that 350-375 at the flywheel but I expect a low 12 to high 11 with traction now that I have a 9 inch that can hold it's drink without exploding. Yes I plan on putting a stroker in it but I will leave the 4:56 gears. I do have a 27 inch tall tire and overdrive and live where most of my driving is in the city or on two lane roads so I am not on the interstate that much. As always it depends on what your goals are.
Is this a street car or track car. 4.56 on the street seems CRAAAZZZZZY. Sounds like fun

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Yes this helps, allot . I really enjoy my 302 as it is even with the 2.78 gears. I am torn between putting in some 3.55 gears $300 install. Or buying a new pumpkin with Posi and 3.8 gears for $600. I dont have Overdrive yet but I pln on getting it. I also dont know if I will really NEEEED a 408 stroker down the line.
Being new to the scene I ws under the impression that the 408 sould just be a monster on the streets, but seeing as how I am building my first car Im not sure if I need that right now
Im thinking if I can get 325-350 RWHP out of my 302 with correct gearing that should be enough.
How many times have you guys said or heard that? lol
You will have issues with traction with an open 3.55 rear end. For the $300 difference I would definitely go for the T-loc (posi) unit. Is this an 8" unit?

The 408 would be a monster. While it would up the HP you would be challenged with:

1.) Traction (when you solve traction, could start breaking things as parts get stressed)
2.) Added weight
3.) Reduced selection of headers (maybe not a big deal for 67 vs 65-66)
4.) Tighter working conditions under the hood

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
You will have issues with traction with an open 3.55 rear end. For the $300 difference I would definitely go for the T-loc (posi) unit. Is this an 8" unit?

The 408 would be a monster. While it would up the HP you would be challenged with:

1.) Traction (when you solve traction, could start breaking things as parts get stressed)
2.) Added weight
3.) Reduced selection of headers (maybe not a big deal for 67 vs 65-66)
4.) Tighter working conditions under the hood
Yes this is a 8 inch unit. They seem to be just as expensive as the 9 inch units. and harder to find

·
Registered
226 Posts
.......a car with 3.55 gears will appear to be faster that a car with 2.78 gears is that correct.
To take this even farther, can gears offset displacement.
Will a modded 302 with 3.80 gears feel and appear faster than a comparably modded 351 with 3.25 gears?

If your car has enough torque to spin your tires off the line with 2.78 gears, I don't see how the added torque of the 3.55 gears is going to help. If your tires are spinning you could have 2,000 hp and it won't help you get off the line any quicker. But if you don't have enough torque to spin your tires, I can see how the 3.55 gears or more cubic inches can help you get off the line quicker.

Congrats on the 351 block that you are building to a 408, you won't be sorry.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Yes this is a 8 inch unit. They seem to be just as expensive as the 9 inch units. and harder to find
I was lucky enough to find my 8" T-loc w/3.55 in a bone yard many years ago (hint, look for V6 Pintos and Mavericks) and it has served me well. (y)

That said, this is one item that if you get enough traction not to spin at launch with that 408 you might just break ...

I think the 8" will live nicely behind your 302, especially the T-loc. For the 408 money for a 9" would be better spent.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Mines an 8" with posi, 3.80 and a billet steel pinion.. Plenty strong for me, tho I don't go to the drags or anything. Just enjoy some kick in the seat of my pants acceleration at least once every time I go for a drive..

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
If your car has enough torque to spin your tires off the line with 2.78 gears, I don't see how the added torque of the 3.55 gears is going to help. If your tires are spinning you could have 2,000 hp and it won't help you get off the line any quicker. But if you don't have enough torque to spin your tires, I can see how the 3.55 gears or more cubic inches can help you get off the line quicker.

Congrats on the 351 block that you are building to a 408, you won't be sorry.
My car has some torque but its not spinning tires. Still debating if I am going to build up the 351 block. It might be too much

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
A shorter stroke engine can accelerate faster. A lighter car as well. If the suspension allows it to squat down on the rear tires, it helps huge for traction. Blowers, turbos, single plane intakes, are all things to consider. There are massive variables to consider. Do some serious reading. Google.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Is this a street car or track car. 4.56 on the street seems CRAAAZZZZZY. Sounds like fun
About 99% street. The last time it was on a track (summer 2018) I blew the 8 inch to smithereens. I ran out of time this year with the new 9inch and the closest track closed. Now the closest track is a good hour away. I would feel comfortable driving it there and racing. I would take mainly two lanes but it's fine for extended miles at about 70-75. With the overdrive that is only about 2500 in 5th gear.
Back in the early 90s it ran 13 flat with 4.63s and an engine making about 50 horsepower less than I am making now so I figure it will run low 12s. The moral to the story is that gear helps make up for having small displacement and a high power peak. My engine (with a fairly small cam) peaks between 6000 and 6500. I shift around 6800. I really have too much intake as it would probably be faster with a dual plane rpm performer but I got a good deal on the funnel web. I figure it will work good when I build a stroker. I plan on keeping the gears with the stroker and hoping for mid to low 11s with traction.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts