Vintage Mustang Forums banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
I definitely disagree with you, accelerating off of a light is NOT illegal. Street racing however is. So is speeding. Theoretically if you accelerated quickly off a light and do not exceed the speed limit you would not be breaking any laws and not endangering any lives.

Also how is having a “ricer” poor judgment. You sound like a fun guy to be around.
I guess that depends on the state and local laws. Excessive acceleration IS against the law in some states/cities. Guess who gets to decide what is "excessive."

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I have a 480 HP 408W in my '67 Ranchero and it is set up for 87 octane. It is a nice upgrade from a weak 2bbl 302 that was in it. Plans are to install a 600hp 521ci ( 460) stroker next year when I retire from work. The gas pedal determines how much power you use LOL.
Randy

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
GREAT torque! "Normally" with larger cams the horsepower is greater than the torque. 90lbs more torque than HP ensures excellent "stop light' manners. My 408 has 10 more HP BUT 40 less TQ. I wish I had your +40 in mine. My goal with the new 521 (460) is 600hp and a min of 650TQ. Dyno time will tell.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
I definitely disagree with you, accelerating off of a light is NOT illegal. Street racing however is. So is speeding. Theoretically if you accelerated quickly off a light and do not exceed the speed limit you would not be breaking any laws and not endangering any lives.

Also how is having a “ricer” poor judgment. You sound like a fun guy to be around.
Around here an "exhibition of speed" will get you a serious ticket.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is the type of response I was looking for.
So hypothetically speaking
Car A. 302 engine with a edelbrock performer cam, headers and Edelbrock performer intake with a 650 carb and 3.5 gears.
Car B . 351 Engine with a edelbrock performer cam, headers and Edelbrock performer intake with a 650 card and 3.2 gears.

Who gets off the line first?
My guess is 302 moves first to about 1/8 mile (maybe less).

Please don''t flame me :)

61 - 70 of 70 Posts