Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My garage space is very limited and but I would love to have a lift option. I am 6'3 and working in the engine bay is a back killer.
Right now I use a floor jack and two jack stands every time I have to do some work.
Would the Quickjack work for a 66 convertible? Or would it apply to much tension on the car? An alternative would be @zray crossmember with lift pad and jack stands. At least I only have to jack up one point, place the jack stands and be good to go.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
As long as the car is solid with no rusty rails, it'll probably work ok. IMPO- I wouldn't want to be lying under it without extra jack stands under it. I'm sure it's sturdy, but the overall design just gives me the willies- looks chinsy. For the height gained, and unless you do 4 wheel tire rotations fairly often, I'd think you'd be money ahead to go with Z's bar and stands. Again- just my 2 cents anyway.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I use a quickjack on my 66 convertible and I LOVE it! I got the pinch weld blocks and the wall hangers. The pinch weld blocks allow you to move the quickjacks out a little and they are straight with the car. When I used the square blocks on the frame the front of the quickjacks pointed towards each other a little making lifting a little awkward. I use it often and really like it where there is limited access. Although I am 99% confident in the design, i still place jack stands just in case. Car seems very stable when in fill lifted position.

I also have the Zray crossmember but it is so much faster just to drag out the quickjack. You can have your car lifted in like a minute.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I use my quickjack for just about everything, from oil changes, to a 30 minute T5 trans pull. I also used it to rebuild my brakes, axle seals, and cooling system. Honestly, if you don't have room for a two post or 4 post full sized lift, the quickjack is a good compromise for a small garage. When I'm done, I can just disconnect them and store the individual lifts. As far as not trusting the lift, that is to you. I was always taught to use a stand or put one of the tires you removed under the car so it won't come down on you. Although the 5000 pound lift they are selling at Costco is perfect for you mustang, if you have other cars I would look at the quickjack website to see the different sizes and weight limits so you can better match a lift for all your cars. I know Costco also sells the 7000 pound version, but hasn't put it on sale yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for the replies! Sounds like a good product which works well with my car.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I bought the Quick Jack 5000 from Costco last year. 2nd best thousand bucks I ever spent (the 1st 1000 is classified). I also got the pinch weld blocks and the wall hangers - they were extra but a good idea.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Thanks for the info on Costco and Quickjack. I'm joining and geting one today (no affiliation with Costco).
I have been waffling about quickjack, ezjack, KwikLift and even MaxJax (even sold by Home Depot, but presently "not available")
I think there's a military membership discount (?$30?) also.
I think you can only get the lift online, but it's free shipping (hopefully to my home, rather than to store for p/u)
I'll get back if there are changes in regards to mil mbrship.

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
Hi all,

My garage space is very limited and but I would love to have a lift option. I am 6'3 and working in the engine bay is a back killer.
Right now I use a floor jack and two jack stands every time I have to do some work.
I know that back ache all too well. I use ramps and park on them about 90% of the time if work is planned or not. The x-member with jack pad is also a must have and great time saver for wheels off work.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Awhile back this was posted in a very long thread on quickjacks on the garagejournal site. The poster suposedly works for them or the parent company? No idea if that's correct. Its caused me to hesitate in buying one. The extra stop and couple inches may be useful. Real? Delayed by the plague? Pricing? Just thought I would share. The little arrow is a link or if it does not work for you, there is enough here to search the site.

Originally Posted by JSK View Post

You’ve all asked for a QuickJack, but wished it lifted just a little bit higher. We asked our Engineers to please, please, please do all the strenuous calculations to make the frames lift higher without adding a lot of weight. After a lot of huffing and puffing and strange formulas that look like the Greek alphabet, they were able to squeeze out an extra 4” of lifting height and added an extra locking position. Collapsed height, overall length and rubber block min/max spreads stay the same. It may not sound much, but you can do a lot with those extra four inches.

Introducing QuickJack’s TL and TLX series:
  • New model BL-5000TL (Basically the same as a BL-5000SLX but with 3 locking positions and an added 4" rise.)
  • New model BL-5000TLX (Basically the same as a BL-5000EXT but with 3 locking positions and an added 4" rise.)
  • New model BL-7000TL (Basically the same as a BL-7000SLX but with 3 locking positions and an added 4" rise.)
  • New model BL-7000TLX (Basically the same as a BL-7000EXT but with 3 locking positions and an added 4" rise.)
Coming mid-to-late Summer 2020.

Reactions: Mustang4SF

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Awhile back this was posted in a very long thread on quickjacks on the garagejournal site. The poster suposedly works for them or the parent company? No idea if that's correct. Its caused me to hesitate in buying one. The extra stop and couple inches may be useful. Real? Delayed by the plague? Pricing? Just thought I would share. The little arrow is a link or if it does not work for you, there is enough here to search the site.

You’ve all asked for a QuickJack, but wished it lifted just a little bit higher. We asked our Engineers to please, please, please do all the strenuous calculations to make the frames lift higher without adding a lot of weight. After a lot of huffing and puffing and strange formulas that look like the Greek alphabet, they were able to squeeze out an extra 4” of lifting height and added an extra locking position. Collapsed height, overall length and rubber block min/max spreads stay the same. It may not sound much, but you can do a lot with those extra four inches.

• New model BL-5000TL (Basically the same as a BL-5000SLX but with 3 locking positions and an added 4" rise.)
  • New model BL-5000TLX (Basically the same as a BL-5000EXT but with 3 locking positions and an added 4" rise.)
  • New model BL-7000TL (Basically the same as a BL-7000SLX but with 3 locking positions and an added 4" rise.)
  • New model BL-7000TLX (Basically the same as a BL-7000EXT but with 3 locking positions and an added 4" rise.)
Thanks for sharing. Would be interesting to know how much $ per inch they cost more ;)

I pulled the trigger on the TL version. I have a Costco close by, in case I don't like them I will return. I will share my experience as soon as they arrive.
If I work under the car, I will go for jack stands. But for a work in the engine bay I will be fine without. If it the car drops I am not underneath.

·
Registered
542 Posts

Mike, Good info, and thanks.
But darn, I can't wait anymore. I'm 70 and it hurts to do the backwards low crawl on driveway cement. ...and I have too many project to complete this summer, and before I croak!
I'll either get this QuickJack, or go with a 4-poster that can be moved on its castors -- I have not wanted a 4-post due to the space it occupies (and the extra $2K it would cost), but it offers other benefits.
I've shied away from the MaxJax because it STILL requires being bolted down (although removable), it occupies space when installed, and the set up each time is NOT easy (per the YouTube demos).

·
Premium Member
7,436 Posts
Have you considered the MaxJax? I have a standard height ceiling and the MaxJax get's my rig as high, if not higher than I ever dreamed. I have a two bay garage with two doors with two elec. door lifts. With the top up, I have more than enough room for any of the normal projects we might consider. If I drop the top, I can get another 18" if not more, on to of the easy 3-0+ Ft. as the door lift does not hit the top., And if really squeezed for room, the Max Jax column(s) are removable. Mine was $2K delivered in 2014 from Costco.
It's an easy straight forward installation. Need to drill 10 - 7/8" finished holes in a 4" (min.) mature concrete floor.
I used the floor jack in this pic to lift the rear back into a more neutral position. To do this, I raised the body using the integral frame ( not the pinch rail), placed the floor jack in position raised it it and dropped the lift onto it.
Who says you can't have a great accessible working lift in a standard height garage?

Attachments

·
Registered
542 Posts
Ordered one last nite. At 1000 I thought Id try. Ordered pinch blocks off amazon.
I did too. Through Costco -- also did their "Executive membership with Costco credit card, with $60 rebate and 2% on the $1000 lift. we'll see if: 1) the lift is worth it, and 2) whether the Costco credit card thing is just a gimmick that doesn't get used (like gym memberships).
Was checking pinch blocks on Ebay (magnetic steel ones, 2 for $16)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts