Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I switched to R-134a in the Mach 1--I may have overcharged it because I immediately developed a leak at the condensor--I at that point was unable to draw and hold a vacuum and financially unable to buy a new condensor and dryer--Here are my questions

1.The sticker on the rad support calls for 1lb 12oz of R-12.Do I use the same amount of R-134a?

2. A recent poster mentioned 10 oz of oil.I have had the entire system apart and turned every which way to get any and all traces of oil out. Do I subtract the 10 oz from the 1lb 12 oz on the sticker?

3.Do I hold the cans of R-134a upright or upside down during charging?

4. And finally and least important--Can my original dryer be saved/reused?--I ask this because it has a very clear date stamp on the sticker, where the new one does not of course. Can the dryer be saved?

TIA Don

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I was advised that any time you cracked open the system(any part of it, or all of it) you should change the dryer to eliminate any moisture.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
You do not use the same amount of R134A as you do R12. The amount you use will depend on the system. For example a classic 65 Mustang using the original York compressor will require 22 oz of R34A rather than 1 3/4 pounds of R12.

You should replace the dryer. Really any time the system is opened the dryer needs to be replaced.

Do not turn the cans upside down! Liquid refigerant can ruin your compressor. It takes time to charge the system. If you can draw a good vacuum let it pull for at least three hours before you charge the system. You should charge from the low side with the engine running at 1500 RPM or so.

If you have removed the oil you will need to replace it. It is added in addition to the amount of refigerant needed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts