Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No easy way to post this, but on Friday night my car was hit and run while parked outside my house. In my opinion it should be totaled and honestly I am hoping it will be as the resale is now ruined for a car like this. Anyways lots of you followed along when I flew out to Texas and drove it home and the adventure I had doing that, so I figured I would let you know what happened. One bright spot is that I live like 2 blocks from the police station and the officers there know me and my cars. So the officer on the scene (who's Dad works for porsche) looked over at me when they were pulling it up on the wrecker and said (would that engine fit in the fastback." I just said, "you read my mind." I thought that was kinda funny.

·
Registered
553 Posts
That is effing horrible. Too bad that justice can’t cone upon the a-holes that did this. Very sorry this happened to you.

Hopefully you’ll get that voodoo into your fastback soon so you’re shelby can live on.

·
Registered
296 Posts
That's awful... I'm sorry that happened to you. I hope your insurance company helps offset the depreciation if the car isn't outright totaled.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
That's what I would go for. I can't imagine that's anywhere near enough to total the car (usually somewhere around 75% of current value, depends on insurance company).

Unfortunately, cost-wise, I don't think it's anywhere near totaled. Decklid, quarter, bumper, some frame pulls, exhaust and new paint. But as stated above, your best bet is to get a depreciated value for it and sell it as soon as you get it repaired/get the check.

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
agent here

sorry for the the loss

for insurance, unless you had specialty insurance on it with agreed value they're not going to look at it any other way then current blue book value. deleting any collectors, sentimental or nostalgia value out if the equation

like 65 Pony said above insurance wise its no where near totaled

plus its going to go to a bang out shop and get refitted with "like and kind parts" not necessarily OEM

if you want all OEM parts youll have to negotiate that will the shop and expect to pay the difference out of pocket

if its fixed right just like any of our classics that were hit long ago. in the long term it wont kill the value in say year 2045

i mean would anyone really care today if they where able to buy a Boss 2 with the qtr panal and real tail replaced say back in 1985 and it was done 100% right.

may lower the numbers a little but wouldnt stop me

·
Registered
19,954 Posts
That sucks big time. Today lots of people and businesses have surveillance cams. Maybe go down the block and see if people will check their DVR’s. What ever hit you is going to have damage

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the input guys, I really do appreciate it. Unfortunately my last car was also hit (got rear ended on the highway) also not at fault in that one. And the Jeep was only 2 months old when it happened. The shop that did the repairs was AMAZING even the seam sealer they used looked completely factory. Even on a lift I would be shocked if anyone could tell it had been hit. So I am pushing for any repairs they do indeed try and make to be made there. That said, I got EFFED when I sold that car. Lost about 4 grand in value. THIS WILL NOT BE HAPPENING THIS TIME. I have already contacted legal counsel and I will absolutely fight them on diminished value. Truth is that as a collector vehicle the value is more steeply effected than say a Camry. I believe so anyways.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Man that sucks!

Two comments:

1. Glad it wasn't the 66

2. Putting that motor in the 66 would be awesome. Or listing it here in case there are people...cough cough....who might already have a car ready to accept might be a good idea.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Blues, you are a company man, heart and soul. Glad you are not my agent, nor my insurance company!

While that car could (and should be!) fixed, the "well, parts is parts! Who cares if they say Genuine Ford?" bit, and the "It'll sell fine in 2045" bit strikes me as pretty callous as well as untrue.

If your '66 got smacked in '68, and it was fixed right, no one cared, especially in this day and age. There was no Carfax, and there's nothing to show that anything ever happened, except perhaps to a trained bodyman.

NOW on the paperwork that follows this Shelby, forevermore, it will say "This car got gobsmacked in 2019" and people will turn up their noses, no matter how good the repairs are. Additionally, they know that it probably won't have genuine Ford parts, so who knows what kind of longevity, fitment, or quality they'll have? Do you see the problem here?

Besides, in 2045 none of these cars will be running. You won't be able to get all the little one year only hidden electronic widgets that stop working.

Sorry for your tragedy, Ryan! =(

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Terrible - so sorry that happened. Damn those hit and run drivers here in SoCal!!!

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Terrible - so sorry that happened. Damn those hit and run drivers here in SoCal!!!
It's epidemic everywhere.

Police can no longer engage in pursuit, so they are encouraging a big percentage of hitters to be runners.

John

·
Registered
652 Posts
Very sorry to see and hear about this... hoping all gets resolved as painlessly as possible on your end!!!

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Round up the posse and get a rope!

A guess would be that it would take ~$35K+ worth of damage before that car would be totaled. Then again sometimes they are totaled if glass is broken and gotten into the air vents because of future liability:shrug:
Because of the Cafax, "diminution" has become very common even on common cars these days . A member here got a few grand extra IIRC, on his pickup or SUV a few months back. I read about a Porsche GT3 that got 10K worth of damage from a valet and another ~20K in diminution. That number should make up for any loss on re-sale down the road although thats just a guess at this point in time.
GoodLuck.

·
Registered
343 Posts
So sorry to see this Ryan. Breaks my heart. IF the insurance company wants to fix it, be sure your body shop estimates the job with ALL POSSIBLE ADDITIONAL DAMAGE included. My wife had an accident which frankly looked much less severe than this, but it ended up costing as much as the car was worth because the original estimate didn't anticipate that the engine cradle (K-member?) might have been damaged. When the body shop was reassembling the car and reinstalling the drivetrain they discovered the K-member had damage, which then doubled the cost of the repair estimate. I wanted the car totaled, but at that point the insurance company was already on the hook for $12k to the body shop for the work already authorized, so they spent another $12k to purchase and install a new factory K-member and any other ancillary bits. Since they were already out $12k for the initial repairs, if they paid me to total the car at that point they'd be out $36k (the car's value + repair bill to that point) rather than just $24k to fix the car, even though it was equal to the value.

Now, I did work with the shop to make sure they used ALL factory/OEM parts (no "like kind" as allowed by my policy), and it came out beautiful and looked/drove perfect when done. I did press for 'diminished value' remuneration from the insurance company, but was unsuccessful. They argued that my car was properly repaired with ALL new factory/OEM parts and that I've not suffered any loss. Granted, mine was not a special interest vehicle, but we had been planning to sell/replace the car before the accident. We ended up keeping it for another 5 years because I was concerned about the loss of value immediately following the accident.

The interesting thing was when I sold the car 5 years later, the CarFax was clean and showed no accidents, damage or bodywork in its history. I disclosed the accident to the buyer, and also explained that for some reason it didn't show up on CarFax, but he seemed to care more that the carfax was clean than the fact that it had been in an accident. So, by the time I actually sold the car I guess I didn't suffer much loss of value, but I don't put much faith in CarFax anymore.

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Please tell me truthfully that the Shelby was not parked in the street when it was hit as it appears in the photos! IF I had a Shelby and IF I lived in the city I'd park it on the front lawn before I'd park it in the street!

I used to work with a guy who owned a 1941 Harley Davidson that his father bought new and still had less than 20K miles on it as I recall the story. That bike was parked in the LIVING ROOM of his house. I kid you not!

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
I used to work with a guy who owned a 1941 Harley Davidson that his father bought new and still had less than 20K miles on it as I recall the story. That bike was parked in the LIVING ROOM of his house. I kid you not!
LOL...I had an ex girlfriend and we baby sat for a friend of a friend that had just got out after being away for a couple of yrs...biker, and looking back--a bad dude. Anyway, when we got to their house there was a Harley parked in the kitchen--the biggest room in the house. Suffice it to say, the neighborhood was NOT a safe place to be and I never came back--seemed like a decent Guy looking back but I was helping him out. Never again LOL!!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts