Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having issues with my TCP R&P in that the system has been making a lot of noise. I've been doing a lot of reading and talked to the guys at KRC quite a bit to get some help but I'm still having some issues. The main issue is that the pump groans at idle when the fluid has warmed. It also does that when I crank the wheel when stopped, but I figured that was normal. I also get vibrations when I do that and a hissing sound which I don't know if that's normal. I know the groaning comes from trapped air and that it's common if you use a remote reservoir and it's not set up properly. However, I have the integral reservoir and Sportsman pump and I'm using AutoZone PS fluid (non-synthetic). I've burped the system several times and have gone through the whole priming process, as well. Here's a link to the groaning and hissing sounds:

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I have the same issue. I believe mine is due to the econo power steering fluid. They state no synthetics and no additives. I bought some KRC power steering fluid, however have not changed it out yet. Mine is noisiest when it's warm. I can see the PS fluid foaming, so I know it likely the fluid. If the upgraded fluid helps to a degree, then I may add an inline PS cooler.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I remember reading your posts and wasn’t sure what your solution was or if you fixed it. I’m curious about the KRC fluid myself. It’s frustrating spending all this money and having these issues.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the hoses coming from the rack, under the engine mount and up to the pump. It looks like a “J” with no sharp bends and there’s really no other way to route them.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Not trying to tell you otherwise, you prob already know most of this. It definitely sounds like you have air in the fluid, its not pockets of air, but rather your fluid might have cavitated or overheated. Take a good look at your fluid inside your reservoir, you probably have tiny little bubbles throughout the fluid. Good fluid is a must, Redline, RoyalPurple, KRC, etc, any one of those will work. I found its a good idea to take the load off the pump when bleeding the system. In other words, get the front-end up in the air, or in my case, I put garbage bags under the tires and did the typical turn left/right routine for 90 million turns, rinse repeat. Also, shut the car off and let it sit and then do it again after 15-20 min. Little helpful hint, replace the power steering reservoir cap with a rubber glove with a finger cut off to help the air escape, it also contains the burping so it doesn't spill all over the place.

Last, did you get a full R&P kit or buy your pump separate from your R&P? Are you sure you're running a pump pressure of 850 or so? Stock pump pressures are usually 1200 or more and a pump for an R&P only runs 800-850. Pump may need to be recalibrated by modifying the control valve (add washers to decrease pressure, remove washers to increase pressure). I just went through all this, toasted my pump autocrossing, just put in a new pump and bled the system last weekend.

KRC is absolutely top notch, but with a price tag. Did you know the cast KRC pump has a 5000 RPM limit? The higher priced aluminum KRC pump is designed to run well above that. Something you don't hear mentioned very often.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
The hose bends are absolutely not the issue. The unit runs quiet when cold. Open the cap, the fluid is running clear.
When it's warmed up and noisy, I open the cap and the fluid is frothy like Guinness.
To me, this is obviously cavitation and fluid issues

I'll post in my build forum when I get around to changing the fluid. I feel that an inline cooler will be needed to cope with the heat that the pump is generating.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Groho, thanks for the info. I ordered everything through TCP so it should all go together. They recommend regular part store fluid but I’ll ask if the KRC fluid itself is ok. The pump is the aluminum one with a max rpm of 9k I believe.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
It sounds like it only does it while the fluid is hot, do you have any sort of cooler ? I know on trucks they have at least a "cooling loop" of hard line, without it the fluid can overheat and cavitate.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Before I start installing coolers, I’m going to try KRC’s fluid. I checked with TCP and they said it should be good. I’m rather pissed though that they keep pushing the store brand stuff, and KRC knows there’s an issue with trying to bleed this pump. I don’t know what the answer is or who’s responsible, but this isn’t right.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
You need a PS cooler, those PS line loops are marginal at best. Over heated PS fluid will severely shorten the pump life as well as the fluid life.

My '86 TBird Turbocoupe came from the factory with only a loop in the PS line, and the fluid would only last about 6 months before it started to burn. I installed a small stacked plate transmission cooler in the return line and it stopped burning the fluid.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wanted to follow up with and update to my pump noise. I installed the KRC PS fluid and the noise got a little better but it’s still bad. When I’m idling it’s still louder than the car and only the radio can drown it out. I don’t want to spend the money and buy a remote reservoir but this is ridiculous.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
I wanted to follow up with and update to my pump noise. I installed the KRC PS fluid and the noise got a little better but it’s still bad. When I’m idling it’s still louder than the car and only the radio can drown it out. I don’t want to spend the money and buy a remote reservoir but this is ridiculous.
You're most likely going to need some kind of cooler at some point. I had an issue with groaning because one of my PS lines on my TCP rack/KRC pump was near the headers.

Adding some thermal insulation almost eliminated the groaning entirely. The only times it groans now is if I've been beating on the car when it's hot outside.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Mine did that after 2500 miles. I took it back to TCP 3 times. They couldn't find anything wrong. Called KRC and they talked me through bleeding the system. That didn't help. I got so frustrated that I got rid of the rack and went to a Borgeson Box. No groans and I'm using the same KRC pump that I did with the rack. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
I just ordered that so hopefully it'll help. Did you use hose clamps to secure it?
I just used the sewn on velcro that comes on the wrap. I've used a little safety wire in the past on areas where the hose had a loop or sharp bend.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I am enjoying this issue as well.

In changing to the KRC fluid, as noted it changed the noise but did not eliminate it.

I've looked in the reservoir and noted that with the old fluid that it would start making a noticeable noise when the fluid warmed up. If you opened the cap, you could see it foaming like a Guinness. When cold there was less or no noise.
That is the first reasoning for changing to the KRC fluid.

What I noticed about the KRC fluid was that it seemed to have much better flow characteristics. Great except the fluid does not settle in the reservoir for long. My theory is there is no time for the bubbles/foam to go down and that screen does not do much to help.

I was thinking of trying a couple of things. A larger reservoir, or filling it right up to the top with no room for air, and see what happens. I'd need to buy more fluid though.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I have only had my system on for a couple months so far, I have the TCP power rack and the KRC pump with integral reservoir. I do not have any noises under normal circumstances but I do when ever I get to full lock in either direction - it makes kind of nasty squeal noise.

I had the car on the track for a few sessions last week and didn't experience any issues with noise or foaming of the fluid. I am using the NAPA brand power steering fluid which is what I believe was specifically recommended to me somewhere along the way as it has different properties then some of the other chain store non-synthetic brands.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts