Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In trying to determine how much the turning radius is increased, have sure met with some vague answers. A dealer for Steeroids put the difference in inches while the mfr. candidly said an increase of 6 to 8 feet. That seems like a noticeable lot. Once before, trying to get this info from cos. like the guy in Wash and the FR group, never getting anything more than a dance around the fire that was probably as far out as their turning radius. Feedback from actual users welcomed. Am at the point of getting the PS system redone, but this seems like a good time to make a change.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Seems like we can't get a straight answer out of anyone, including the manufacturers of the R&Ps. I don't understand how some people say the spindles still hit the stops with some racks, but they still lose radius. No can explain this.

The new MM(Nov 07)has an article about an integral power steering box retrofit for 63 to 70 Mustangs from ABS Power Brakes. I haven't read the whole article yet, and I don't think they mentioned the price.

I don't mind spending 2K for a rack system, but I won't spend the money without answers.

John

·
Registered
722 Posts
this is my 64 1/2 restomod with TCP power rack with the wheels turned all the way to the left. it is a huge difference its hard to turn the car around in the driveway... out on the road a huge difference in feel. the front end feels really tight but then again i went from a shot stock suspension to TCP coilovers with the rack too
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee191/jamison42166/circle.jpg

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Great topic, I am interested in the answers too. Any thoughts on which rack is the best and why, Steeroids, Randall's, TCP?

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
yelostang said:
Yikes! Would not be able to make a U-turn or drive in to single 90 degree parking space, without having to correct at least once. Above pic is what am afraid of getting. Thanks for posting it.
That is pretty much what I have found with my TCP manual set up.

My solutions are:
- Gentle throttle oversteer for the U-turns
- Don't park in single space 90* pull in parking lots.

Tim

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have the power Randalls Rack in my 65 FB and I love it. There were no issues with the install and I can run long tube headers. It is a quality product. Yes, you do have a larger turning radius but I have found it is really not a problem. It is true there are times I have to back it up and turn again to make the tight turn or the u turn but I have power so I do not think it is an issue. It is a VERY small price to pay for the positives I receive. I feel very secure at 75 mph (and also at 125mph). The car is not wandering all over the place. Of course I have lots of other things that contribute to the good handling but a modern R&P steering system is a definite major plus.

If you look at other threads regarding whose system to buy the general concensus is Randalls or TCP but NOT Flaming River.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
What is the difference in the turning radius?

How about some numbers!

Any thoughts on unisteer?

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I just got my MM today and saw the article on the integral unit--I think that may be my solution for my '69. Looking for a price...

·
Registered
189 Posts
I cannot give you numbers but I have a way we can figure it out. I can do a complete 360 with the wheels at full turn with my 65 FB Randalls Rack car and determine the diameter of the circle. Someone else with a 65 or 66 can do the same and we can then compare the difference in the diameters. Any volunteers?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts