Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to charge my rebuilt A/C system.The guys at Classic Auto Air told me that 134A works about as well in a 65 factory system as the original R12. I have a case of 12 cans of R12 so gas isn't an issue,but using a modern freon might be easier later on.All I know is my 93 ford van (last year they used R12 in these) has never cooled as well after being converted,any thoughts? BTW,all of my hardware will run either gas.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
If the conversion is done correctly, there should be a minimal difference. You have to evacuate the system, change the evaporator and a few other things before re-charging it.

-Matt

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
You don't have to change the evaporator. You do need to evacuate the system, change the filter/drier, and change to synthetic oil. And it probably will not work as well as it did with R-12. R-134A needs a little more compressor and condenser capacity to achieve the same performance as R-12. A modern condenser and Sanden compressor would take care of that. But if you have R-12 on hand, why go to the bother and expense? USe the R-12 you have, it works great and if your system is tight it could be 10 years or more before you have to worry about it again.

Regards,
MrFreeze

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have changed many vehicles to 134 without changing anything i even have adapters for my 134 gauges to hook up to r12 prob done it 10 times and cooled just as good. i personally think r12 is makes the air cooler. i would definatly sell the r12 that stuff is crazy high

·
I won a special award
7,409 Posts
SELL the r12 you have currently 30lbs virgin r12 is $800-$1000. buy the modern r134a system . all new stuff with little $ out of pocket

+1

I did this a few years back and made a few bucks off my R-12.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The guys at CAA told me to sell the R12,and since I have everything new or rebuilt by them,I can go either way. Mr freeze echoes my experience though.For a given size evaporator,R12 will cool better than134, how much better is the question.Thanks everybody,i guess it's time to flip a coin on this one

·
Registered
638 Posts
As tempted as I am to sell my 35 lb bottle of R-12 also, I can't seem to forget how much of a PITA it was when we switched from R-12 to R-134 on my submarine refrigeration plants and lost nearly a 1/3 of its efficiency. I think at the end of the day when it comes time to mount and charge mine, I will play it safe and stic with the R-12, as I know how efficient it is at cooling.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,662 Posts
I've done the swap on a few cars. Most mid-1980's and up stuff works just fine with R134A. Earlier than that I wouldn't even try without parts changes. Every time I tried to just swap freon on older stuff it didn't cool enough to even bother with.
A rotary type compressor is a must for R134. Sandens are an excellent choice, especially since you can buy the stuff from Classic Air and such to just bolt one in. You might get away without it, but it's really worth going to the six-pass condenser like NPD offers. Using one will make the difference between being comfortably cool and being able to make your wife complain about how you are freezing her to death. You might need to change some hoses too, maybe not. Ask whoever you get your compressor setup from.
I can tell you one thing, if you fill your car with your precious R12 and later a hose bursts and blows it all out in about 10 seconds, you're going to be sick. (Ask me) Hoses can split, things can leak. With R12 it's a heartbreaker losing stuff you can't replace. With R134A it's just annoying and $30-40 down the tube.
Sell the R12 and roll the money over into a Sanden and condenser. Unless you are one of those folks who just has to have the car look perfectly stock underhood. Those folks value R12 very highly and rightly so.

·
Premium Member
10,954 Posts
i was driving west across I-10 in the summer in my 06 F350 with the air on max and it kept gittin warmer and warmer inside the truck. i thought the a/c was going out. i stopped at the rest stop in blythe california to leave something and when i opened the door i thought it was the door to an oven. as i drove toward LA it got cooler in the truck. i was told that R-134 isnt as good as R-12. i said R 12 times and this happened > :pirate: :shocked: !

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I converted my '66 to 134a. I bought the Sanden conversion kit from CAA. That included the mechanical stuff, hoses with the R-12 fittings to work with the evaporator and connect to the 134a connections under the hood. Great combination. Works very well; I can't really tell the difference.

My '65 Convertible air would keep the car comfortable in the middle of LA traffic on a hot July day on mid blower speed. That is pretty awesome performance.

Technically, the R-12 should do a little better, but I find it difficult to really detect the difference with the Sanden and 134a. Maybe the Sanden just does a better job than the old Techumseh.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
If you have that much R12 then go that route. You see cans on ebay all the time for about $25.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I'll use some of my R12.I can always switch later.The rebuild expert at CAA told me to expect a little leakage at the compressor seal till it seats in good.I found some more cans of 12 this morning,so i have about 16,plenty enough to charge up,refill,and still have a few spares.I'll sell the extra's to help pay off my credit card after this restoration. Maybe I'll get to meet some of you guys at the Spring Rod Run in Pigeon Forge,TN next month.the dates are April 14 thru 17.My car will be in the official show at the Grand.If you have never been,this is a must see event.It has to be the biggest collection of classic cars in one place you will ever see.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts