Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, i have my car all torn appart. Its a 67, factory AC. The AC didnt work, and the compressor was beltless, so im not sure of the problem. It had no pressure in it either when i took it all appart.

Now i want to put the 5.0 in the car, and keep the serpentine (should be more efficient this way, and better, and...). Whats the best way to get the system tested, and have the hoses redone, and all of that jazz. I really want to just take the system in (heater box, radiator thing and drier, compressor, and lines) without the car, and have them test the seal and setup the lines.

Also, what needs to be replaced for the r134a? And what typically goes bad first on the A/C system?

or, to put it another way, what would you guys do? can yah spell it all out for me? /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Ok, putting 134 in a older system can work, but typically causes many problems, My recommendation...get a newer system, install all the components on the car, then take it to a goo AC shop where they can test the system and ensure function, but this is an all day job for them. Figure if they replace the hoses too, around $200-$300. If you are going to keep it OEM, then even at $40 per pound for R12, it works out cheaper (usually, since it only holds about 2 pounds) to keep the R12 and repair/replace components in the system, but either way, the system must be on the car to do a complete function evaluation. FYI, there are also EPA approved, non-flammabe replacements for R12 other than R134 which work well, actually better than the R134 in the older systems, but you need sombody who is knowledgable in this arena.

·
Registered
680 Posts
The aftermarket suppliers have a kit to convert your car to the 5.0 Sadeen (sp) conpressor. Might see if you can buy the hoses and stuff that you need from them. Or, contact Vintage Air, or one of the aftermarket suppliers for air conditioner systems. They should have everything you need...

·
Registered
771 Posts
I pulled my serpentine set-up off a ford truck using a mustang late model waterpump.
I will be using a FS-10 compressor, but do not have the system hooked up due to other issues like a new baby boy.

Good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts