Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody tried this stuff? I've seen it demo'd on dyno engine tests and it appears to work ok. It is a step or 2 beyond a plain old octane booster I think. My stroker is on the cusp of needing more than 93 octane so I thought I would give it a buzz anyway.

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Misread the OP.

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
Anybody tried this stuff? I've seen it demo'd on dyno engine tests and it appears to work ok. It is a step or 2 beyond a plain old octane booster I think. My stroker is on the cusp of needing more than 93 octane so I thought I would give it a buzz anyway.
To see any benefits, you will need to bump up your timing--unless you are detonating now with running 93 octane. If your motor does not NEED the raised octane, just burning higher, say 110 or higher will likely make less power since it is harder to ignite. Our boosted race motor is tuned with C16, 116 octane because with lower, it will detonate and pop gaskets or worse. Others will chime in as to the exact science of burning higher octane than you need to but higher octane is needed to starve off detonation with elevate timing levels. More timing equals more power. There is more to it than that but I think you get the idea.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
It’s an octane booster similar to what Torco and VP sell. We can get 100 octane street legal gas from the pump here. I’d use high octane pump gas (or even AV gas) before I went with an additive. By the time you get a tank of premium and the additive you’re about at the price of 100 octane unleaded if it’s available in your area.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Sunoco Race Fuel.

Changing the octane changes the timing in your engine. Not the timng you can see with your timing light. Because low octane fuel burns faster than high octane fuel it changes when the cylinder reaches its peak pressure. You want a combination of the compression, fuel octane and timing that will create the most pressure in the cylinder without causing preignition. So its important too choose the correct octane fuel for your compression. Sunoco has high octane fuel that also burns faster. There is so much to tuning an engine to squeeze every horsepower out of it. The best thing to do is buy the combination of parts a manufacturer recommends and do not deviate from it. They have thousands of hours devoted to figuring this stuff out. Its hard enough to understand the basics.

Sunoco Fuel Selector
Sunoco Race Fuels

Everything you want to know about fuel

Sunoco Race Fuels

Where to get it.
Sunoco Race Fuels

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
Octane alone can be a byproduct of the corn gas.
I can't remember which brand, Torco sounds familiar but it might be all of them that contain a oxygenate of some sort. Its like a micro dose of NO2 that I would like to try someday

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Man that high Octane corn gas can give a guy a real headache the next day!

My car doesn't have the compression to use race gas, I've tried it at the track and noticed no difference. If your motor isn't designed for it, its useless and likely robs more power that it adds. If your running 11 - 12 and more to 1 compression ratio, and you know how to tune for it, you need it, otherwise, its a total waste of money and power.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts