Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok well I have a small delema. I found out from a racing transmission maker that real overdrive trannys arent strong racing transmissions. I really only have a few choices... either go with a built up toploader or c4. Or go with a TKO II which I have heard wont hold up. If I go with a 4speed/auto then I probably will have to get two rearends. 1 with say 3.55s or 3.89 and the other one with 4.56 or lower gears. So more or less change them out when on the street or track. My LAST choice is getting a 5speed without overdrive... gforce,lenco,and jerico all sell them supposedly very strong. Gforce told me that if i get the 5speed with a high rear gear like 3.00 that the 5th transmission gear will act as a "simulated" overdrive. I like this but the prices of these transmissions are $5000+. What are your opinons on what I shoud do? Thanks!

Mathew

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
1) A TKO II will take 475 ft-lbs of torque. How much are you shelling out?
2) An AOD can be built strong.
3) What kind of racing are we talking?

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
i'm looking at the gear vendors overdrive . The downside is its $2,500 and i still need a c4. The upside is at the press of a button i can change the final drive ratio. SO with 3.90 gears and the overdrive unit on the final drive ratio is 2.80 which is what i'm currently running. The overdive units take 2,000 hp.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We are talking 600HP/590lbs torque and a fair ammount of nitrous. Motorhead which setups were you looking at? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
11,701 Posts
I take it you are not willing to pop for a Jericho or Richmod transmission?

Or you could go with a T56, which is built to handle 600+ HP.

If you have to choose between a toploader or a prepped-C4 for the strip you would probably make more consistant times with the C4.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Hi Matt, How you doing?

The TKO should be fine for you based on what I remember about your setup (fill out your profile?). I have a "regular" 3550 in mine and it handles the power just fine.

You can't go wrong with a toploader!

J - E - R - I - C - O is a very, very nice piece (clutchless shifts!!!)

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I talked to tremec they say that the TKO II is the strongest tranny they make... under that is the T56. They said it would probably hold up to my engine NA but I was pushing it with nitrous. As for my setup for those who dont know its a 408W that will be making between 550-600HP same for tq (also plan to use 200-300 shot of nitrous). This will be used for street and for at the drag strip. Out of curiosity will the clutchless jerico fit in a 67? Also does it have the same power loss as autos? Thanks again!

Mathew

G

·
0 Posts
Use a TKO, you'll need a basket. Use a Jerico or Lentec, you'll need a wheelbarrow full of cash. If you want to run the bottle, use the C-4. I have killed more trannies than any 5 people here drag racing my 466 '66 & the Performance Auto C-4 is the only one I can't break. You can actually build one yourself really cheap. If needed I can supply all the info you need on it's upgrade. Just for info's sake my 'lil 466 on the spray(325 hp) made just a tick shy of 1100 actual dyno HP, no sea level adjustments, no BS... You'll lime the C-4 if you ever bracket race it.
http://www.tulsahotrods.com/
If you're bored, check out my POS.

·
Registered
981 Posts
lentech makes the street terminator plus for 2600.00 rated at 700 hp and the strip terminator rated at 1000hp for right at 3000.00 all prices are no core and shipped.plus comes w/a good warranty.lentechautomatics.com

1 - 10 of 10 Posts