Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just about had enough of my car's old school steering! I have gone from power steering to manual which was a big difference but it still isn't right.. So I'm thinking about going rack and pinion but I'm wondering what ones you are using in your cars.. My car is a 67 fastback with a 4spd, 351w stroker motor, full length headers (not sure of the brand bought them off ebay, I think they are blackjack???) I have heard mixed comments about the flamming river units. Total control? Randalls Rack?? Anyone else make them? What would be my best bet?
Thanks for the help
Tom

·
Registered
648 Posts
Your best bet would be to search this forum and others for threads about R&P steering setups. It is a hot topic, and you will get lot all your questions answered with a search.

After that, I would suggest not using terms like "old school" to descibe things. Shelby drops are old school, and they aren't bad.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Not certain, but I think Randall's will fit. He is really a great guy and has done a lot of R&D. I just got his set up for my 66 which will have a 351w and shorty headers. I waited for his redesigned member that is supposed to fit with headers. If you e-mail him, I'm sure he'll quickly respond. I have the rack installed but not the engine. It's a really nice unit.
http://home.comcast.net/~jim7485/rack_B4_install_web.jpg

jim-

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
I still can't get over your high $/age ratio. Wish I had your good fortune.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Check out the new unit from Speeddirect. They have been doing this for years for Chevy's, and have just released a Mustang version. They are going slow, and trying to understand our cars and needs. I have the rack in my car, and have had the engine in and out to test fit headers. They have a partial list of the headers that do and don't fit.

Their design is similar to the TCP unit, but much lower cost. They start at $1150 for the power steering rack kit, and a bit more if you want the tilt column. you can find them at Speeddirect

Best,

Brian

·
Registered
662 Posts
I totally endorse RANDALLS RACKS mine is awsome and the shaft from the collum to the rack runs close to the frame where the old box was ( accually there is more room than with the old box) The pump and brackets supplied with the randalls really cleans up the engine compartment. ::

1 - 7 of 7 Posts