Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! I have a 1966 Mustang 200 which the original owner upgraded to a manual rack and pinion system. I was curious as to what the process/ products required to upgrade this system to powered steering!

·
Registered
67 Fastback T5 331 TCI Frt End, Canted 4 link rear susp
516 Posts
How did they upgrade to rack and pinion? I would imagine it was an aftermarket kit. If so, which one? At the very least you'll need to add a PS pump to the engine. I would imagine a 66 Mustang 200 would already have fairly light steering, no?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Hey all! I have a 1966 Mustang 200 which the original owner upgraded to a manual rack and pinion system. I was curious as to what the process/ products required to upgrade this system to powered steering!
There are a few r&p kits out there, so without knowing specifics, I can only offer general options-

1. I’m 90% certain any existing rack would have to be completely replaced with a power rack. While I have no doubt that someone out there has replaced the components on a manual rack to accept hydraulic assistance, but I can’t imagine that being very easy or cost effective. And you still have to add a PS pump, with associated pulleys/belts etc.

2. Add Electrically Assisted Power Steering (EPAS) to your steering column. There are several threads on this site showing how you can add EPAS to your existing column from a donor vehicle, or you can buy a complete column with an EPAS unit installed on it already (I went this route myself).

3. Go back to stock. As with #1, you’d have to add in a PS pump, with associated pulleys/belts etc.

Sent from the interwebs... where else?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
If you’re otherwise happy with the rack’s steering characteristics- feel on center, bumpsteer, ratio, lack of play, turning radius etc- then Chris nailed it: go with an electric assist under the dash.
There’s a lot of folks on this board that are very happy with a fully restored Ford PS system from chockostang, but your question wasn’t about that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you’re otherwise happy with the rack’s steering characteristics- feel on center, bumpsteer, ratio, lack of play, turning radius etc- then Chris nailed it: go with an electric assist under the dash.
There’s a lot of folks on this board that are very happy with a fully restored Ford PS system from chockostang, but your question wasn’t about that.
Greatly appreciated advice!!! I enjoy the feel of the R&P, my biggest gripe is how it has most definitely increased the turning radius, but I have a sneaking suspicion it might have to do with the fact that the previous owner failed to install a bump steer kit. I will definitely look into the electric assist! Thanks again!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are a few r&p kits out there, so without knowing specifics, I can only offer general options-

1. I’m 90% certain any existing rack would have to be completely replaced with a power rack. While I have no doubt that someone out there has replaced the components on a manual rack to accept hydraulic assistance, but I can’t imagine that being very easy or cost effective. And you still have to add a PS pump, with associated pulleys/belts etc.

2. Add Electrically Assisted Power Steering (EPAS) to your steering column. There are several threads on this site showing how you can add EPAS to your existing column from a donor vehicle, or you can buy a complete column with an EPAS unit installed on it already (I went this route myself).

3. Go back to stock. As with #1, you’d have to add in a PS pump, with associated pulleys/belts etc.

Sent from the interwebs... where else?
Chris,
I greatly appreciate this advice. The EPAS is definitely something I should look into. I would prefer to not have to revert to stock steering as I would have to pull it from a donor. Thank you for your post!

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Greatly appreciated advice!!! I enjoy the feel of the R&P, my biggest gripe is how it has most definitely increased the turning radius, but I have a sneaking suspicion it might have to do with the fact that the previous owner failed to install a bump steer kit. I will definitely look into the electric assist! Thanks again!
This increased turning radius has to do with the fact that the car was not engineered with rack and pinion steering in mind. And the unidentified rack on your car may not have been engineered for a Mustang. The length and location of the tie rods will not allow for full travel to the steering stops on the strut rod. This complaint is common for the majority of aftermarket R&P kits. There is supposed to be at least one kit that will retain a full turning radius. It would take a lot of parts and $$$$ to convert back to conventional steering or to install a different R&P. Your car could have a modified crossmember to carry the rack and may have other modifications or "deletions" underneath.

If you could manage to live with the turning radius and like everything else about the steering, but want power, you might consider the electric option.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts