Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I purchased a Rack & Pinion Conversion Kit for a 1965-70 Mustang w/Stock Exhaust Manifolds - For Small Block with Stock Exhaust Manifold from Flaming River. After I got everything installed, I then tried to install the shaft from the rack to the steering column and there came the problem. The angle from the column to the rack is so great that it will not allow the universal to make a full turn. I tried moving the column in and out with no luck. I can't return the item, since I've drill holes in the column to mount the firewall plate and cut the shaft to fit from steering column to rack. I'm at my wits end on this. :wall:

The car is a 1964 1/2 Mustang Convertible

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Sorry to hear of the problems with the FR rack. Lots of problems with the FR rack. I guess you did not do a search on here. It is quite an eye opener on their Rack and pinion they offer. Did you give up on your 68 model gearbox mod?

Call them and see if they will offer to send you a different mount for the rack. I understand they ship out a lot of different mounts to try to get it to work. John

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I sent FR a message with pictures, waiting to hear from them. I had to send the item back once already because when I installed the rack, both front tires were towed in with all adjustment. I gave up on the 68 mod since I would have had to drill holes in the frame because the mounting holes in the gearbox had different spacing than mine.

·
Registered
249 Posts
First let me say.. i feel your pain.. i know what your going through.. to sit there and go through alot of trouble and then to run into a problem towards the end when you think things are going smoothly.. anyway i'm sure there is something that can be done.. my rack n pinion, once installed was way off mark as well.. i had to get 2 universal joints. one to fit on the rack and one coming off the column.. then the middle extension piece.. was a pain to install but it worked. get some advice from FR. they have to be able to help you somehow.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I had the same problem with Steeriods Rack. I had to order a double joint, support bearing and a shorter shaft. Then I had to fab a bracket to the frame rail to attach the support bearing to. What a load of crap, Had to spend a couple of hundred dollars plus the time to fix it right. I don't think you should have to spend an extra dime to fix this. If they won't take care of you and you charged it on the card I would refuse the charge and send it back.
VMF's have had lots of luck with Randalls setup and the rack from RRS lucks good also, there was a write up in Mustangs and Fords ??? a couple of months ago.

G

·
0 Posts
Do yourself a huge favor and send it back for a refund. If they refuse take them to court in you're home state.Do a search on this topic and you will be amazed that they still offer this product for sale. I finally gave up sending it back after the 5th time and had mine modified at a local machine shop. Total P.I.T.A.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts