Vintage Mustang Forums banner

341 - 360 of 364 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
JohnnyK

What were your final results?

Did anyone put together a bill of material along with the bracket templates?

Seriously contemplating this endeavour on my 67.

Any info would be appreciated!!!

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
Final results were, I don't have any yet, besides some slow turns around my driveway. :D Bill of materials I could try to cook up this weekend, problem is, the brackets are mounted on the car, and the center bracket (the main thing) is going to have to be custom built for your car I would think.

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
Well I did have a huge problem getting the power steering hoses to work. Probably the hardest part (Well, maybe not, but a lot of running around and money wasted on different hoses). That being said, not sure about the manual rack?

·
Registered
903 Posts
Whatever you can put together when you have some time would be appreciated, pictures would work, too, to show what the brackets look like.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
Pictures might be the easiest. I can try to do that this weekend. I would have made cad drawings of the things before I bolted them on. But if they didn't work, would have been a lot of work.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Well, tonight I've read this whole tread, and it took quite alot of time! It's a great thread(!!!) but I would love to get the meassurements of the brackets holding the rack to the frame down on a drawing.
This thread made me think I actually can do this convertion myself instead of paying almost $2000, my only problem is that here in Norway I might have a problem even getting a cheap used rack in the lack of us donor-cars... But that's a trifle

2late: did you ever get to test your setup on that '68?

JohnnyK: Have you got to test your car properly now?

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Mroed,

The last post before yours was several months ago. I would try sending them a private message. I have not read this whole thread but it looks like it's about homemade rack and pinion steering. Take a close look at the Unisteer manual rack and pinion from Summit Racing before you start buying parts. I have one and it performs like I want it to.
You should be able to read the installation instructions from Unisteers website.

Good luck

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thanks for the tip, but I'll give'em a few days before I give them a PM.
Yeah, this is about building your own rack&pinion, and it is a system similar to the Steeroids systems (only better ;) ), the rack is quite different from Unisteer from what I can see. If i didn't misunderstood some of the important stuff in the beginning, the "J" car rack will perform very good regarding to bump-steer aswell. How is yours Unisteer regarding bump-steer?

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Thanks for the tip, but I'll give'em a few days before I give them a PM.
Yeah, this is about building your own rack&pinion, and it is a system similar to the Steeroids systems (only better ;) ), the rack is quite different from Unisteer from what I can see. If i didn't misunderstood some of the important stuff in the beginning, the "J" car rack will perform very good regarding to bump-steer aswell. How is yours Unisteer regarding bump-steer?
I may have a different opinion on bump steer than most everyone else. When the cars are stock they handle so poorly that bump steer is just part of the poor performance. I can't tell you how much. I have not driven a stone stock mustang in 20 years. The mustang I recently completed was purchased disassembled. I put it together with mods recommend from this website and others. I am very happy with the handling performance of my car. So much so, that I hope to take it autocrossing soon. To date, I cannot tell you that there is noticeable bump steer. I also have not really pushed the car to its' limits yet either. It's hard to do that on public streets.

Does my car have bumpsteer? probably
Is it noticeable on the street? not yet (driven about 1000 miles)

Front end mods to date:
1" shelby drop
mustang plus 620 springs and 1" sway
roller spring perches-ala dazecars
solid mounted adjustable strut rods-my own design
GR-2 shocks
alignments specs per dazecars
unisteer manual rack and pinion
17" wheels

Will I be able to feel the bumpsteer on a track? maybe
Is it worth spending time and money to cure it? NO that is better spent fixing something else

With a grain of salt:

If you are building a track specific car and intend to compete then every little edge helps.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
homemade manual rack

heres my homemade unit i got it off my pal who bought a 70 fastback i believe its a bmw rack worked quite well in the 70.He went on and fitted a power rack so i got it to use in one of my projects.

·
Registered
987 Posts
For those who have completed the fabrication and installation, did you reuse your original tie rods? If not, why?

I had the rack out and was looking at it and the original steering components (still in the car, easily visible through the empty engine bay). It looks like I would want to reuse the originals and just make sure the tie rod bracket sits exactly where the current drag link bar is now. That bar is a perfect template for how far apart the holes need to be for the tie rods. And, it lets me know exactly how high the rack needs to sit (or at least, the tie rod bracket).

M/C

·
Registered
353 Posts
Re rack availability in EU - the Saab 9-3 is a J-car derivative maybe some Vectras too, 98-03ish 9-3 Delphi rack identical in dimensions to J-car rack but input shaft double-D is different, hyd cyl different diameter. Uses late-style GM iron pump w/separate reservoir. 94-97 ZF rack might be usable too but I haven't had one to compare.

Started to do my own J-car rack setup w/Saab rack, ran out of time and bought Borgeson box.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If anyone is still around on this. I have a 65 6cyl and have the ability to buy a cheap manual rack, either standard or sport rack.

Would a manual sport make steering too difficult at low speed???

btw: Has anybody completed this diy R&P and if so did u like the results???

And finally, has anybody documented the final process to get this done???

thanks in advance

·
Registered
636 Posts
I just found this thread. I to would like to know how things have worked out for folks who have tired this. I will give this entire thread a read over the weekend. Maybe this is the way to go? I don't know. Some opinions would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Those who have finished this project seem to have abandoned the thread. I am about to do this (I have the rack and pump). I have some body work to complete then some painting then the front suspension and steering.

I promise that when I am done, I will share what I got to work for me. It will be a while between completing this and getting the car back on the road, so what I end up posting will be untested.

I am currently looking for a good used drag link that doesn't cost $125 to use as my crossbar for the tie rods. If I need to, I will fabricate one out of 1/2" steel or buy something from Speed Direct (who makes the Steeroids rack, which is VERY similar to this project).

M/C

·
Registered
123 Posts
I didn't feel comfortable welding this (my only welding experience has been on my headers) and ended up buying a kit from steeroids, which was quite cheap. In that kit, I got the same GM j-car rack as they have used in this thread, and the brackets actually seems quite simple to make, if you are okay welding such an important peace. Below are the only pictures I have of the brackets.

341 - 360 of 364 Posts