Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been running P185-75R14 radial tires on my '66 coupe with stock wheels (14 x 6) for almost 9 years with no problems. I would like to upgrade to a larger tire. What, in your experience, is the largest tire that could be installed on these wheels safely? I'm sure I could go to a P195-75R14 but how much loarger is the question.
Thanks for your expertise!
John T.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I used to run 205/70/14s on stock rims without problems. I don't think I ever tried to go any bigger than that.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
I've always tried to keep the tread width and the rim width about equal, but with a taller side wall, you will experience moer tire roll in turns

·
Registered
33,988 Posts
The stock V8 wheels (standard or styled) for 66 were 14x5. I've used P20570R14 tires on them for years, no problem.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've used 225/70-14 on 14x6 styled steel wheel on a 69 back in the day. Fit fine on a 69 although a bit taller than stock.

·
Premium Member
12,964 Posts
205's are a good fit, and look right too. If you look elsewhere than tirerack.com you might be able to find some Pirelli P-4's, which I've used in the 195/70-14 size. I was extremely pleased with the outstanding performance of those tires. But I was coming from nearly 10,000 miles on a set of BFG Radial T/A tires. Which were are worst traction tires ( wet or dry) I've ever had the displeasure to experience.

So my liking the Pirelli's so much has to be tempered with the fact that I was coming from a very scary place traction wise, with numerous close calls of running out pavement. My Pirelli observations might be positively colored as a result of the timing vis a vie the Radial T/A's.

Z

PS In any case, there are choices in 14" tires other than the BFG's. I would advise that the other brands deserve a close look.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I had 195s installed a few weeks back. I wanted 205 but Discount wouldn’t install them on the stock steel wheel because their order/install software said they wouldn’t fit. Even though tons of guys have them. I could have gone to the local llantera but just went with Discount. A set of 205s look good on a stock classic Mustang.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I did 225s and they fit fine but I wish I had stuck with 215 or 205 for appearances sake, particularly for the front.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Had 2 new looking BFG come apart when they reached 5 yrs. The first one removed the left fender. the second was ready to do the right a few months later.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts