Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,

1968 fastback, manual trans with A/C. 302 built up with 410 HP at the flywheel. Water pump is stock setup, lower passenger side. What are my options for radiator and fan? Motor is ready to be dropped in, so I am trying to plan ahead before it goes in.

Would a 3 core aluminium radiator and standard belt fan work?

Am I losing HP by keeping the belt drive, meaning should I go to electric or clutch?

Also complete new modern wiring harness and 100 amp single wire alternator are ready to install.

It's going to be a weekend driver, no track time and DEFINITELY not looking to break the bank... just don't want overheating issues that I've been reading about.

Thanks.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I'm using the Champion #340 with a 16" Imperial puller , I only need the fan idling stop light to stop light or waiting in line at autox events. GT40P B303 Edelebrock heads guessing 345ishHP

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
just don't want overheating issues that I've been reading about.

Thanks.
Overheating is definitely a hot topic on this forum! I have no overheating issues with a 350 hp + or - 331 bored 40 over with a cheap copper/ brass 16" 3 row commie radiator even when using the stock 4 blade fan. My personal opinion is most cooling issues are a symptom of other problems with the engine, timing or whatever and that nothing is wrong with Ford's OEM style components. I have never owned a car that had an overheating issue that couldn't be determined and fixed with stock style components I would think in your situation a clutch fan with a shroud would be great. A standard sized 3 row brass or 2 row aluminum radiator should be more than adequate. I don't like electric fans on old cars just because it just sounds wrong to me when they kick on.

·
Registered
34,155 Posts
In 99-44/100% of the cases, overheating is caused by one or a combination of more than one "issues" not related to power output or cooling system design but, rather, to defective or damaged components, incorrect tune, etc.

My recommendation for a '67+ engine compartment for a "built" SBF would be a "big-block" 24 inch radiator, thermal fan clutch, 6 or 7 bladed fan, fan shroud and overflow tank. IMHO, there's no substitute for a good quality copper/brass radiator although aluminum units are definitely CHEAPER when it comes down to tube area, but beware of cheap aluminum radiators with poor fin counts, per inch, and lousy construction.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I was keen on keeping the motor looking time specific, so a clutch fan would be closest. I'm wondering if I should just go stock fan with a good rad and "see how it goes". I an always substitute the fan down the road if there's an issue and funds permit. What are the HP savings with going to clutch or electric?

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Thanks guys. I was keen on keeping the motor looking time specific, so a clutch fan would be closest. I'm wondering if I should just go stock fan with a good rad and "see how it goes". I an always substitute the fan down the road if there's an issue and funds permit. What are the HP savings with going to clutch or electric?
no dyno #'s but I did notice crisper throttle response with out the old fixed 4 blade fan. probably better water pump life also

1 - 8 of 8 Posts