Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ran to Auto Zone this morning to get a new radiator cap. I swear, I don't know why I keep going back to that place - they're clueless! But that's a whole other story...

I just added a coolant recovery tank to my new 4-row radiator; so I needed a radiator cap that would allow coolant to be sucked back in when the level got low. Problem is, none of the caps said anything about use with a recovery tank.

When I asked, the employee had no idea what I was talking about. So I just assumed they would all be for use with the tank because they all looked the same. I bought a 13 pound one and left.

Now that I'm home with the new cap, its underside and spring look exactly like my concourse reproduction cap (that is not designed to recover coolant).

What gives? Shouldn't the new cap look different that the old one? And shouldn't the packaging at least mention if it's for a closed system or not?

Thanks for any advice...

·
Banned
3,730 Posts
It's actually not a problem. Use a cap which does not have a lever to release pressure and use a standard psi (13) rated cap. You'll be fine.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, it would appear that my standard cap would have been fine, right?

The reason I ask is that it didn't suck coolant back in after it filled the tank. I posted about it yesterday evening and was told the reason was I needed a cap specifically designed for a recovery system...

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Your cap has to be the type that seals in two places to allow the recovery tank to do its' job. That is, inside the radiator neck and at the top of the neck. The standard cap only seals at the bottom of the neck. That's why your tank didn't function right.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
I am confused about this as well... I work at Kragen and NONE of our radiator caps (Stant brand) mention anything about being for use with recovery tanks...

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Charlie. Would you have a picture of what I should look for? I'm just not sure I bought the right thing...

By the way - you gonna be at the Austin show on the 3rd? I plan to stop by; but I have too many pieces off my car right now to show this year.

·
Banned
4,774 Posts
Virtually any cap made in the last 15-20 years has a rubber gasket"?" on the top & bottom sealing surface , even if it has a handle . If it does, it will work with a recovery tank ! If it has a metal upper " gasket " it won't .

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Any Ford cap with the little back siphon piece in the center will work. I think most replacements for original caps have this valve. If you want a specific recommendation use a Stant cap for an '88 Ford LTD 5.0L.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts