Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
The links you posted look like a nice setup.

I also like is vendor's stuff on ebay.

Universal Parts, Inc
http://www.univparts.com/media/CR5030_RS2001-1.jpg

I bought a custom cut radiator shroud with dual Spal fans from these guys, and they were great to deal with... very fast turn around and quality work.

·
Registered
171 Posts
That radiator looks just like my Northern aluminum radiator (and basically the same price I paid). I would go with a different fan though. My buddy gave me a Derale he had used that was similar to that one. It was thicker than the SPAL, and it pulled about 25% less CFM. Check out this link. I think this is a better deal and it includes a programmable switch to control when the fan comes on and off (I think these are like an extra $50-70, but not sure).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Spal...ryZ34201QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

·
Premium Member
2,559 Posts
I had the Derale on my car, I don't typically believe the cfm ratings given by manufacturers but the Derale put out a lot of cfm compared to a similar flex-a-lite. This is purely subjective of course, but my car never ran hot with the Derale 16926. I had it on a 4 row rad with A/C.

Also Derale fans typically eat more amps than other similar size fans. I don't know why... but it may be proportional to fan cfm?

·
Registered
171 Posts
The SPAL is the same way. It likes alot of amps. I think it is like 35amp on startup and 25amp continuous, but don't quote me on that. My SPAL really sucks, but in a good way ;) Never had any overheating problems since installing it. I highly recommend an adjustable switch for it. I used a Vintage Air one that screws into the petcock. The newer SPAL programmable one seems to be a little more advanced.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What about the electric fan from NPD the part # is 8k620-1A. They say it pulls 2,010 CFM coupled with the alum radiator it should cool just fine?

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Your ebay link does not work (does not direct to a radiator seller) do you know the sellers ID? Do you have any pictures of the mounting tabs installed in your car? Are the same as stock? I'd love to get an original looking aluminum radiator, but I really don't want to pay the Griffin price.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have a 16" generic electric fan on the stock radiator now. Not happy with the performance. Comes on @185 & the temp rises to 205-210 & stays there. I would rather it bring the temp down then maintain it at 200-210. When I had a Spal in a 347 stroker, once the fan came on @185 it would drop it to 170 in a minute. Very fast. I couldn't use a Spal in this application b/c I have a stock alternator.

·
Registered
97 Posts
How much distance do you guys have between the water pump shaft and the electric fan installed? I don't think I have any more than a 1/4 of an inch - probably less. If that fan got loose, it would sure make a big mess under the hood ......
What's the thinest (most thin) electric fan sold?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts