Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My engine was idling for about 20 minutes before my radiator exploded! Any ideas why? The radiator was original as far as I know. It burst at the seam of the top of the radiator.
Is there an underlying issue I can test for and address, or should I just buy a new radiator? I don't want to blow up another right away due to some underlying issue.

1965 Six Cylinder (200) Coupe
First time running in almost two decades. A lot of restoration work has been done to the car.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Weak from old age? Could be the radiator cap is defective and failed to vent. A radiator shop can resolder the tank if you want to keep it original.

·
Registered
1967 Coupe 289 Acapulco Blue
29 Posts
The antifreeze will turn acidic after sitting for years. Had a similar problem with my 67. My radiator was leaking at the pinch point on the top of the radiator. Found the radiator to be worthless and replaced it. Look at your freeze plugs for signs of leaking as well; If this is the problem they will need to be replaced as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.