Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good or bad? The type I am considering is a piece that fits in the upper radiator hose with a screen in it.

Should I consider this? I am contemplating a new radiator, and I dont wanna clog it up in the first week.

COuld it be considered a temporary thing in order to strain the crap outta the water? I flushed this radiator a few times (once with acid), and while its better, it isnt how it used to be.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Is it called a Gano filter? someone posted thier displeasure with one this week. I was also thinking about one also.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Apparently others have been dissatisfied with the GANO filter, but I have had great luck with one, and I know several others who have as well. The amount of crap you capture after a rebuild or even a radiator flush and/or swap is gawd awful! This one isn't a GANO (not sure the brand), but looks like a tidy package too. Check it out:

http://a9.cpimg.com/image/FF/6B/10891519-b925-02000180-.jpg

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
What about puting a piece of stocking over the top inlet as a temp. thing ,works fine .
The good part is taking them on your ladies leg !!!!!!!!!!!!!/forums/images/icons/wink.gif

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
As one who just stupidly ruined a new 4 row radiator by running a rebuilt motor without a Gano filter, I strongly recommend them.

Also recommend buying the brass one, as the plastic one does not hold up and will eventually crack.

They will prevent a lot of cooling headaches. I painted the additional hose clamps black and I hardly notice that it's there.

You do, however, have to be good about checking and cleaning it on a regular basis - otherwise you're doing your cooling system a disservice. Dickson

·
Registered
422 Posts
I recommend the brass Gano filter, it will save your radiator, but clean it out periodically especially in the first few weeks, you'll find alot of gunk in there. I would not recommend the plastic one. I had one on and during one of my cleanouts, it shattered. I am glad it did it in my garage and not in traffic. Definatly get the brass one and clean it out often. Good luck. James

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
El Shano, that is a Mr. Gasket Billet Aluminum filter... and the freaking things are discontinued, but I am gonna call Mr. Gasket tomorrow to see if they have any left... I have my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
You can easily and cheaply make your own coolant filter with parts from the hardware store. These are just standard garden hose fittings and a screened gasket.

This type fits inline with your heater hose, so it's easy to conceal.

If it gets clogged, only your heater core will not get any coolant, not your complete engine....

http://www.geocities.com/mlnielsen_67/heater_filter.JPG

1 - 9 of 9 Posts