Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just swapped a 408 into my 73 and was wondering if anyone has had any luck with those stainless steel hoses. Also want some other recommendations if possible. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Don't use them, sooner or later they will blow off. They use adapters to mate with your rad or thermostat housing and are of a poor design. When under pressure they will fail.

·
Administrator
19,426 Posts
Just guessing that your 408 is a stroked 351W engine. Because there are 408 GM and Mopar engines plus people stroke 351C engines and people do odd engine swaps sometimes. If your engine is Windsor based you can just use stock 351W (or 351C) hoses fir a '73 unless you're running a really weird radiator or something.

I can't really recommend doing so as it is difficult and the fittings results are imperfect, but I used the special service long-life blue radiator hoses for a police car. Continental makes a hose set that should fit better. For sale at Summit Racing I believe.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Never felt the need to use anything but stock type pre-molded hoses by a quality mfr such as Gates.
I ran a stainless braided radiator hose for a long time. It was a royal PITA to seal and also to take-off. I've since removed it (happily) and now run just the pre-molded hose as suggested above. Much happier and much easier to work on. Sure, the stainless braided hoses are pretty, but they are not very practical. :(

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just guessing that your 408 is a stroked 351W engine. Because there are 408 GM and Mopar engines plus people stroke 351C engines and people do odd engine swaps sometimes. If your engine is Windsor based you can just use stock 351W (or 351C) hoses fir a '73 unless you're running a really weird radiator or something.

I can't really recommend doing so as it is difficult and the fittings results are imperfect, but I used the special service long-life blue radiator hoses for a police car. Continental makes a hose set that should fit better. For sale at Summit Racing I believe.
You’re right it’s just a Windsor, the 302 that was in there had the pump towards the drivers side and the one I swapped in has the pump towards the passenger. Wasn’t sure if that was normal or not. But looks like it’s the same as yours in that pic.
Gonna just order a premolded one then.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't use them, sooner or later they will blow off. They use adapters to mate with your rad or thermostat housing and are of a poor design. When under pressure they will fail.
Thanks for the info guess I’m using premolded ones. 😎

·
Administrator
19,426 Posts
The car pictured is a '67 with a transplanted 1978 351W. Such a happy mish-mash of parts to the point where I no longer have any idea of what water pump that is I put on there. I'm thinking stock 351W parts should work for you if you have the generally correct style water pump for the year. In my case many 1969 351W parts fit my car's engine compartment if I haven't swapped one too many parts. Like that 1996 alternator.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The car pictured is a '67 with a transplanted 1978 351W. Such a happy mish-mash of parts to the point where I no longer have any idea of what water pump that is I put on there. I'm thinking stock 351W parts should work for you if you have the generally correct style water pump for the year. In my case many 1969 351W parts fit my car's engine compartment if I haven't swapped one too many parts. Like that 1996 alternator.
So my radiator is the opposite of yours, it has an opening on the top passenger side and an opening on the bottom drivers side. I took some pictures just Incase. The thermostat housing swivels so i can move it around if needed. Also does the radiator Flow only one way? I would think it wouldn’t matter but I might as well ask. I’m totally new to this and No one in my family is mechanically inclined lol

Attachments

·
Administrator
19,426 Posts
The radiator flows from the top down basically. As long as you got the thermostat housing feeding into the upper radiator opening that's correct. Left or right is just design convenience.
I forgot I sold that particular radiator to a racer and have a different one now but the top inlet is still about in the same location as the picture.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts