Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my radiator back from the shop and it’s good to go.
What’s the best way to flush the motor without gunking up the clean radiator? Can I just stick a hose where the thermostat normally goes and let it drain out the bottom? Motor not running I’m assuming...

Also, would you replace this transmission line going into the radiator? I’d really rather not so seeing if you guys think it’s a must.

And are those spouts sticking out of the firewall go to the heater core?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,084 Posts
Yes the spouts on the firewall are to the heater core. You can probably just loop a heater hose around and spare it the flush...
The BEST block and cooling system flush I have seen is to drain everything, flush until you have only clear water, drain everything again, fill the system with white distilled vinegar, start the car and let it run until it reaches operating temp, shut it off and let it sit 24 hours...you won't BELIEVE the stuff that comes out. Then, drain and refill and flush with water repeatedly until it is nothing but clear water, and drain one last time. I would not recommend running what comes out of your block through a new radiator, but you could install an old radiator or maybe use a filter, BUT you'll hafta clean or change it a lot.
When all is said and done, refill 60/40 or 50/50 with antifeeeze-coolant / distilled water.
Maybe you can find a way to fill just the block with the white vinegar and let it sit then flush without having it go thru the rad.

Reactions: 70rcode

·
Premium Member
6,084 Posts
Don't forget to remove, inspect, or test and replace the thermostat with a high quality one with a gas relief when done.

·
Premium Member
6,084 Posts
I would replace that trans like if it leaks. If you don't want to replace the whole thing, you can use compression fittings to graft one in where the joint is out of sight.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Yeah putting in a new 192 degree thermostat and tested it.
Yeah I’ll install everything and just bypass the radiator I think and flush it. And yeah I’ll try using vinegar and let it sit!

Where does the heater core water come from and go into?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,084 Posts
The front heater hose off the water pump goes to one side of the heater core and the hose from the intake manifold goes to the other side. There is often a small hole in the main disc of the thermostat, many times it has a little post dangling through it, to allow gases in the block to escape to the radiator and eventually the overflow. If the main disc doesn't have one, some installers drill one, about 1/16".

·
Registered
37,687 Posts
Ditto on the heater hoses, for the tranny cooler line you MIGHT be able to use a tool with a rounded head to push the kink back out enough that flow isn't restricted. On the flush, nothing beats a citrus-acid (Mercedes Benz brand) flush on a warm, running engine. You could use a panty hose "screen" in the upper hose to catch debris before it gets in the radiator... a 3-4" bulge should be enough. After the flush, install your new thermostat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts