Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the special properties of actual radiator paint and is good for anything else???
Got a new can at garage sale of MOM and POP operation quiting business for $5 and wonder what else it can be used for
Thanks
Greg

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
If I remember correctly, it is a water based paint and/or a laquer that conducts temperature very well with little to no insulative properties. If it had urathane or epoxy based paint, it would be prevented from cooling it's contents as efficiently as it is capable of doing. As for other uses....your guess is as good as anyones. Cheers!

·
Administrator
19,317 Posts
Use it for anything you would normally use cheap spray paint on. Radiator paint isn't really anything special. I haven't used "radiator paint" in years. I use a thin coat of black lacquer which is essentially the same thing and likely better.
I have noted that radiators shops use a thicker, nasty black paint. It's main purpose seems to be to better cover up sloppy repairs. Awful stuff.

·
Banned
925 Posts
Gotta agree with GypsyR on this. The radiator shop here (the best one in my area) has vat of stuff like sheep dip. I don't know if I helped my radiator by spraying it from a rattle can but it looks great and my 69 never gets hot even here in the desert. We used to spray paint our two-stroke motocross bikes with black engine paint to improve their heat dissipation, I don't know why a radiator would be any different.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts