Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.. Well, my windshield reservoir as doubled most excellently as a radiator recovery tank. The radiator sucks coolant out of it, but for some reason, never replaces the coolant. Why is that? I poured half a gallon of Sierra Ready to Use into the reservoir 3 days ago and now all of it is gone never to be seen again. It isn't leaking, I've thoroughly checked for that possibility. What the heck is going on?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
You fill the Radiator when the engine is cold and add a couple of inches to the overflow tank. If you don,t have a leak this should work ok Gary

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know where it could be leaking from but that recommendation of yours doesn't work.. Ugh, where could it be leaking? I put a piece of cardboard under the car's radiator it was bone frickin' dry the next day!

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
That exact thing happened to me. I think when I kept taking the radiator cap off to check things I did something with vacuum or pressure? Can't think right now, too hungry! Anyway I left the cap on and just kept adding coolant to the recovery tank keeping it topped off and it stopped sucking after a few days. Must have been one heck of an air bubble in the coolant system.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Sounds like you've got air in your cooling system.

When the engine warms up, the coolant expands and burps past the radiator cap at its rated pressure. The hot coolant enters the BOTTOM of the recovery tank.

As the engine/coolant cools, it contracts and enters the BOTTOM of the recovery tank, past the bypass valve in the radiator cap into the radiator.

Pretty simple.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You'd think it'd be simple, but it isn't so.

Imagine that I put half of the gallon into my radiator recovery tank, and filled the radiator to the top before I started the engine up for the day. 2 days and a lot of driving later, the radiator is low, and my recovery tank is bone dry... How can air cause this to happen?? Should the recovery tank need to be refilled every day!?

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Pressure test your cooling system. You have a leak somewhere! Once pressurized, the gauge shouldn't move at all for quite awhile.. Lolita's and my Jeep both don't move at all for as long as I care to watch..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts