Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The radiator support in my '66 coupe is rusted in the corner near the battery for the same reason the battery apron is rusted out.

I've heard nothing but bad things about repro battery aprons, plus I don't really need the whole apron. So I'd like to cut out the remaining rusted metal and butt weld a new piece back in. I've had my welder for a few months and I think I could tackle this job as long as I spot weld around the butt joint and don't get too much heat in the metal to warp the panel.

Cutting out the rusted metal will require me to fabricate some new battery vents in the support, has anyone done this before? Got any tips for making the new vents?

Also, what gauge sheet metal was the original support? I need to get some and practice with it a bit.

I know that a lot of people have had rust in this part of the radiator support and they replaced the whole support, I'm kind of surprised that patching this isn't something I've read about before.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I would try to get a section cut from a rust free car that someone is parting out then you won't have the hassle of making all those bends and cuts.
Try listing a want ad and see what sheet metal they have out there. Shouldn't be expensive and will fit and look nicer. That's what I would try first but that's just my opinion.
Good luck with what you decide to do.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's a good idea. I figured most all mustangs would have rust in this area but maybe not. I'll hit the local old car junkyards before I start this.

I need to get some scrap to practice on first. What gauge steel are the radiator support, battery apron (repros), and shock tower? I'm guessing either 18 or 16.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts