Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Radiator swap question

639 views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  jamesgang 
#1 ·
Going to have to upgrade to the 24-inch 67+ radiator for my 66. What are the upper and lower hose numbers? Are they stock 67 part numbers?

#4 ·
That is the basic way I did it. I also adapted the upper radiator mount to that of a 67.

As far as the radiator support, I installed a repo of a 67-68 support. THAT required some modification of the outer ends of the new support to match the shape of the 65/66 front aprons. Luckily the upper and lower sections are identical in height and width with the earlier years.

#7 ·
For me I just wanted the peace of mind and I’m still in the building stages. I’ve read posts where some have made the same statement as you have. I’m no expert but I would think bigger engine with bigger power would need more cooling. So instead of taking a chance of a stock style setup being enough to keep it cool. I decided to just go with the 24 inch upgrade. Again why not and it’s pretty much the same cost with either option.

#11 ·
Champion rad is awesome. I contacted them years ago and was given great insight. A 24" rad will force you to move your battery mount on 65/66. A 23" allows you to keep it in place. Now for some feedback. Some simple trimming of the lower portion of the rad support opening allow you to flush mount the rad to the support and gives you additional clearance for the water pump. The 17" spal fan will just clear the pump by about 3/8" at the nose. Take the opportunity to install drop-in mounts, it makes it so much easier to R&R. Champion can put the hose connections anywhere on the rad you want them. In my case, I use stock lower pass side, but moved the input to the driver side for better crossflow.

#12 ·
I’ve done the swap on my 66 and used 66 hoses.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.