Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1970 Mustang Grande. 351W. Bored 30 over. Currently have a 4-core copper radiator. I need a new radiator and am looking at aluminum with electric fan. I see Cal-Mustang has 3-row with 3/4 tubes for $313. But some other places have 4 row (5/8 inch tubes). I read somewhere that with aluminum, the size of the tubes is more important than number of rows. Does that mean 4 em row 5/8 is not as good as 3 row 3/4"? Also, what about 2 core 1".

Thoughts??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
795 Posts
what size radiator do you have now? are you using original mounting brackets? I have a champion 20' 3 row in my 69 and it does pretty good down here in TX. Was having some issues but was able to put about 20 more oz of water/coolant in and it's been golden.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Just got this one from Dallas Mustang. It was one of the few things that fit without any mods. 2 row with 1 1/4" tubes so it's pretty thick.

I had an aluminum 2 row from US Radiator but the filler neck on that one was too high and the cap would hit the bottom of the hood.

·
Registered
6,043 Posts
I've got a 408W and running the Griffin 2 row alum radiator- I think it has 1.25 tubes? It works great all the time, no problems at all. I do have a 7 blade alum fan as well.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
i went with US radiator from NPD. $389 and cools like Alaska. dropped right in.

Im also a huge fan of griffin but at twice the price........?

I hear from this board champion is good also.

personally i would not trust any chain store pacific imports

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Bigger tubes = better. If cost is a component, I would go 3 row over 4 row for the larger tubes (Champion etc). E fan's I recommend OEM types typically, your car should accept a Contour style double fan setup relatively easily without too much modification available new from Rockauto and others. Search around the site here for info on the larger car/radiator setups I'm sure it has been done. I am more familiar with the 64-66 setups.

·
Vendor
5,283 Posts
This is what I did in my 70. I run a 393 Cleveland in it and it cools just fine on hot days, even on the track once or twice:

You can find all the parts for the swap here - Aluminum Radiators, fan is this one - Spal 11" dual paddle blade puller fan

Or, just let me know and I can get you a parts list together.

·
Spammer Hammer
9,538 Posts
This is what I did in my 70. I run a 393 Cleveland in it and it cools just fine on hot days, even on the track once or twice:

You can find all the parts for the swap here - Aluminum Radiators, fan is this one - Spal 11" dual paddle blade puller fan

Or, just let me know and I can get you a parts list together.
Shaun, That's a nice looking setup. Is that what you also run in your '66 track car?

·
Banned
2,711 Posts
I've got a champion aluminum 3 row radiator with a single 16" electric fan from them as well in my 1965 fastback with a 351w and 450hp which it handles that just fine. I would go with champion, they're a direct bolt in swap with no modifications needed, a lifetime warranty and you can get them on eBay with a 3 row 24" radiator and twin 12" fans for $250.

·
Vendor
5,283 Posts
Shaun, That's a nice looking setup. Is that what you also run in your '66 track car?
Thanks. I wanted a nice, clean bolt in look for the 70.

The track car I didn't care if I had to cut things up a little so I did. I put this giant sucker in there:

Aluminum Triple Pass Radiator 19" x 28"

19" high x 28" wide. I cut out the front rad support to match the core size of the rad and made my own mounts:

I use this Spal fan (and have done for years, it never quits) - Spal 16" straight blade high performance puller fan

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone... I've always been told more cores = better. But in looking at a site like cal-mustang.com, their 2 core, 1.25" tubes is $20 more than their 3 core 0.75" tubes. Since I have a 4 core right now I'm having a hard time digesting going to 2 core (even though it seems that might be better). Incidentally their 4 row 3/8" is only $14 more than their 2 core... So part of me wants to go with 4 core for only $14 more but if 2 core is better because of the tube size then I'd go with that.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I think the issue is more complex than just "bigger" tubes or more tubes. I'm not a materials scientist but I believe that the thermodynamics depend upon material construction, cooling fin surface area, coolant flow rate (diameter of the tubes), fresh air flow rate (how much air can flow over the fins unobstructed), and tube cooling surface area (also a function of cooling tubes' diameter).

A manufacturer could pack tubes into a radiator frame so densely that he created a 16 tube unit (for argument's sake). Surely, the tubes would be much smaller in diameter (reducing flow rate) and the tubes themselves would overlap each other so closely that very little air could flow through the radiator to soak up heat. I doubt that anybody would make the argument that this absurd case could work.

I have a '66 mustang with a stock 289 and I went with a solidly constructed aluminum 2-row radiator with 1.125" tubes. It fits nicely with my 6-blade 17" fan and the thermal clutch.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Thanks. I wanted a nice, clean bolt in look for the 70.

The track car I didn't care if I had to cut things up a little so I did. I put this giant sucker in there:

Aluminum Triple Pass Radiator 19" x 28"

19" high x 28" wide. I cut out the front rad support to match the core size of the rad and made my own mounts:

I use this Spal fan (and have done for years, it never quits) - Spal 16" straight blade high performance puller fan
Care to elaborate on what was required to fit the larger rad in the 66'? I discovered last night that my radiator has a few pinhole leaks in it and I am playing with the idea of going with a wider setup like what you have.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just got this one from Dallas Mustang. It was one of the few things that fit without any mods. 2 row with 1 1/4" tubes so it's pretty thick.

I had an aluminum 2 row from US Radiator but the filler neck on that one was too high and the cap would hit the bottom of the hood.
Hi Afrett,
Is the radiator this one? https://www.dallasmustang.com/1964-1973/cooling-heating/radiators-accessories/24-maxcore-aluminum-radiator-1967-1970-big-block-2-row.html
I have a 390, where did you get the electric fan?

Thanks,
John

1 - 20 of 22 Posts