Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is on a flathead V8. Two upper hose brass connections, sweated onto the brass upper tank.
One of them looks like the photo. Weep/seep..... whatever you want to call it.

I'm having to top the radiator off after every drive. (Whether the water level is above or below the fitting, same result)
My gut reaction is I should try to re-solder the problem fitting.
Water temp may get to a blistering 165-degrees at the max.
No water in the oil pan, no water out the exhaust and none on the ground. Water is going somewhere.

Could I be losing 1 quart of water out the leaking seam at the connector? It isn't visibly "wet."

Anyone ever solder something like this fitting on a radiator? (acid core solder)
My past results haven't been too impressive.
I may try it anyway as I loath taking the radiator out of this vehicle and then having to re-establish the water level
after you reinstall..... which is a 2 month ordeal. (Mustangs are so much easier to deal with)

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
1st- do a pressure test on the cooling system and see where or if it's actually leaking. If it is that seam, pull the radiator and have it professionally repaired. Depending on what year and model you have, it could be fun to remove- and it's pretty heavy too. My '38 was occasionally low too, but never leaked externally nor lost pressure on a test. That's probably why back in the day you'd see water bags hung off the front bumpers, right?! lol

·
Registered
577 Posts
If the water is leaking out of there under pressure, by the time the airstream from the fan gets hold of it, it's probably dissipating pretty fast thereby not leaving much evidence.
Remove the radiator, clean the area around those fittings, and solder them up the same as you would sweat copper fittings, using flux paste,solder, and a propane torch.

·
Registered
8,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looking for my pressure testing kit. That I definitely want to do.
I’ve removed the radiator a few times & it’s not too tough..... the bad deal is refilling the system. Getting the fluid level re-established is a long term process.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I think O’Reilly’s, AutoZone, or advance auto will have a loaner radiator pressurization kit that you can borrow if you can’t find yours. Last time I borrowed it, it seemed like there were so many fittings and adapters, and various pieces that it should fit everything.

·
Registered
8,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think O’Reilly’s, AutoZone, or advance auto will have a loaner radiator pressurization kit that you can borrow if you can’t find yours. Last time I borrowed it, it seemed like there were so many fittings and adapters, and various pieces that it should fit everything.
Found my kit this morning.... literally the last place I looked in the garage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts