Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone purchased a radiator for a '66 Mustang with 289 (with AC) from NPD recently? They have several with a wide range of prices. Looking for the original look and considering their 8005-1C which is somewhere in the middle of their price ranges. If you bought one recently for '66 289 which one did you get? Thanks.

·
Banned
2,711 Posts
I'd call them up and simply ask. NPD has a pretty decent staff that is knowledgable in terms of the parts they sell and are good at recommending items. If you don't have any luck there, Rick from NPD is also a member of this forum, a good guy to talk to and you could probably always shoot him a PM. His screen name is 69bossnine

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
If you bought one recently for '66 289 which one did you get? Thanks.
I bought a Sprectre Premium from a local chain store with a lifetime warranty, under $200. When it leaked at the seam last year after 4-5 years I carried it about 2 miles and got another one free the next day:grin2:

Rick may be the nicest guy in the world and their business top notch but he still can only sell what he is supplied and sh*^$+ does happen. They have several price points but even the most expensive ones have a warranty for a reason.0:)

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now that you mentioned it I did a search and AdvanceAuto has a CarQuest one for under $150 that looks pretty nice and has some nice reviews plus and a 25% off popped up for on line shopping (plus free shipping to home). Given all that I think I will give it a try and see what its like. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Now that you mentioned it I did a search and AdvanceAuto has a CarQuest one for under $150 that looks pretty nice and has some nice reviews plus and a 25% off popped up for on line shopping (plus free shipping to home). Given all that I think I will give it a try and see what its like. Thanks for the suggestion.
Just got mine delivered from Advance for my 65 2+2. Three row, brass and copper. Looks like the original. After coupon codes and other discounts... $80 delivered and a lifetime warranty. Any questions?

Oh and the one in my '68 also from Advance. Nice units.

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
Scott Drake is selling a made in USA copper/brass 3 core branded radiator for your application. It is my understanding that there is only ONE made in USA radiator and that is made by US Radiator. Can anyone confirm?

·
Registered
940 Posts
Scott Drake is selling a made in USA copper/brass 3 core branded radiator for your application. It is my understanding that there is only ONE made in USA radiator and that is made by US Radiator. Can anyone confirm?
Jeff, I believe you are correct as far as US Radiator being the only company that "mass" produces (relatively speaking) US made replacement radiators. There are other companies where you can get US made radiators for a 66, 289 but they are low volume outfits and the price reflects that.

That said, I would not waste your money on a US Radiator, radiator. I did just that about 4 or 5 years ago for my 65, 289 thinking it was superior quality. Well it leaked around the bottom tank after about 3 years of very minimal use (I maintain a clean 50/50 antifreeze mix in the cooling system.).

About a year ago, I picked up a 3 row, brass/copper unit from ACP (Classic Series) for around $150. It was on sale at a steep discount so I could not pass it up. It looks period correct and so far does not leak.

NPD is good about offering what they feel are the best quality parts available
so I would be comfortable buying the Ready-Rad 8005-1C. Make sure you have the correct fan setup for an 66 AC car regardless of what radiator you buy.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Make sure you have the correct fan setup for an 66 AC car regardless of what radiator you buy.
Currently it has a 5 blade fan that I need to replace due to the accident. What would be the correct fan setup if I want to stick with original components?

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Has anyone purchased a radiator for a '66 Mustang with 289 (with AC) from NPD recently? They have several with a wide range of prices. Looking for the original look and considering their 8005-1C which is somewhere in the middle of their price ranges. If you bought one recently for '66 289 which one did you get? Thanks.
I purchased this one for my '66 FB 289 when I was doing engine upgrades.

https://www.npdlink.com/product/radiator-super-high-efficiency-premium-grade-and-us-made/183603?backurl=search/products?search_terms=8005-1AH&top_parent=0&year=

This was bought on the recommendation of Rick ( @69bossnine ) @ NPD after conversing with him and outlining what I wanted etc. Yes, it was expensive but I looked at it as quality insurance for the $$$ I spent on my engine upgrades.

HTH

John

·
Registered
940 Posts
Currently it has a 5 blade fan that I need to replace due to the accident. What would be the correct fan setup if I want to stick with original components?
It's your call. Dealer installed AC could have the 5 blade fan at a minimum. Factory AC got the 7 blade fan with fan clutch. Since you need a new fan, I'd lean towards the 7 blade with clutch.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I purchased this one for my '66 FB 289 when I was doing engine upgrades.

https://www.npdlink.com/product/radiator-super-high-efficiency-premium-grade-and-us-made/183603?backurl=search/products?search_terms=8005-1AH&top_parent=0&year=

This was bought on the recommendation of Rick ( @69bossnine ) @ NPD after conversing with him and outlining what I wanted etc. Yes, it was expensive but I looked at it as quality insurance for the $$$ I spent on my engine upgrades.

HTH

John
Dag $610! I bought the same US Radiator from NPD back in 2013. I think I paid $435. No dis on NPD here, I buy 98% of my parts from them but I hope you have better luck with yours than I did with mine. As I said, the bottom tank leaked after 3 years of ownership and it wasn't installed for at least a year after I bought it. Maybe I got a lemon.

I would not buy another US Radiator nor would I recommend one based on my experience with the US radiator I purchased.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts