Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Coupe
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my radiator gave it up and is basically dead.

Looking for opinions if I should do something vastly different than stock or just go with the same size radiator assuming that I'm not going to go any bigger of motor than a 302/289.

Second part is where do you recommend going for a new/replacement radiator.

·
Premium Member
6,796 Posts
I did some research and went with the relatively newish offering ACP Maxcore. Light weight aluminum two row large tubes. They look and are shaped as if period correct and fit like originals including using stock hoses (and stock saddle brackets when indicated). I couldn't be happier with mine. Coat it with Eastwood black rad paint and drive on up the road. :)

·
Registered
37,701 Posts
Radiators for vintage Mustangs are like every other car part... there are good ones, "meh" ones, really chincy ones, fancy-schmanzy ones,etc.

To me, the most important thing is that, in addition to fitting properly, that it has at least the same tube surface area and fin-per-inch count as the original Ford piece.

For any Mustang I prefer a copper/brass unit. Yes, aluminum ones are popular, because aluminum used in radiator construction is more rigid than copper and the fins can be made much larger without compromising the strength of the core. On the other hand, copper is better than aluminum at transferring its heat to the air but, then, aluminum is slightly better at pulling heat from the coolant. IIRC, the standard V8 radiator for a '65-66 was a two-row unit, unless equipped with A/C, there was no shroud used and a 4-blade "fixed" blade fan. The "extra cooling" radiator had (I think....I lost my specs a while back) a bit higher fin count, per inch, like maybe 2 more? The A/C radiator was a 3-row, a shroud was used, a thermal fan clutch and a 6-bladed fan. I don't think the 7-bladed units were used until later.

I don't think I'd hesitate, if I had to replace mine today, buying either a US Radiator or a Spectra Premium. I would, however, stick with either a Hayden or NAPA Cooling fan clutch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts