Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Slightly stupid question here. It sounds like the antenna to my radio has come loose. It is the standard AM radio. I tried to pull it out from the speaker hole on the top of the dash, but can't seem to get it out. From underneath didn't look much better. I have AC and couldn't see everything under there, but it did not look like it was a possibility. Is there a relatively easy way that I am missing to get the radio out without taking apart the dash?
Thank you!
Chris

66 289/2v Coupe
Springtime Yellow

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
You could either pull the ashtray (limited access) or the glovebox. the glovebox is probably better, as you can see the cable coming in from the cowl if you have to replace the antenna.

Steve Leslie, 65 coupe in restoration. 302, toploader, A/C, disc brakes, bench seat

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1571478&a=12535662&p=46267978&Sequence=1.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Please, somebody correct me if I'm wrong here, but I think Mustang Monthly did an article on installing radios a short-time back and they noted that cars which had the underdash AC had to move it to the side to get the radio in and out. Hence, my old radio is sitting right where it was - in the dash sounding awful.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that is the case. If you only want to get to the antenna wire, can you do so through the glove box comparment minus one insert?

Again, anybody, please correct me if I'm off base here.

Doug

'66 signal flare red coupe with styled steel wheels
289 4bbl. w/ power steering, brakes, and A/C
White interior with a bench seat, deluxe seatbelt option, and an extra seatbelt in the back for my three kids . . .

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Long long time ago, I remember when... er, I replaced the AM in my dad's '65 which has AC. I remember it was tricky but I did remove it underneath with out disturbing the AC evaporator or smashing the cardboard heater plenum. I think I had to remove the defroster ducts, the rear radio support, the ash tray and the ash tray holder. I had to pull the plugs apart while the radio was still installed and remove the antenna cable. Then after removing the shaft nuts I had to carefully jockey it around so it could be pulled from underneath the dash. I had to rotate the radio in several axises to get it out and I can't remember which side of the hump it finally came out. Then some how I installed another AM radio. I don't recall how I did that amazing feat.

Regards,

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

·
1,211 Posts
I have used the Glove box access to get at my radio. You'll have to compress
it a little to get it out, but once you do that, you will have a lot more room to
work. If you happen to tear the glove box liner, they are available from the
parts houses.

Later,

'66 289 2bbl. Sauterne Gold Connvertible

Shaummy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts