Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gang,
I've been somewhat out of the loop for about a dozen years, and now am getting back in to working on the old cars, so to speak. Need to do some work to my '66 - have the factory deluxe seat belts redone, and also have the 8-track setup restored.

Now back in the day, Ssnake-Oyl was the place to do the belts. I saw they're still in business. Are they still the ticket for this kind of work, or are there other options now?

On the 8-track, I'm not sure about just restoring it to original or adding the FM and CD capabilities. Any suggestions on who can do this kind of work?

I was not too successful searching first, perhaps that was user error. :eek:

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Kevin

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Seat belts are rather easy to restore. If the chrome is in good shape you can just have a local upholstery shop redo the belt. My friend used to own an upholstery shop and he did this all the time and the belts looked as good as new and you can even have any lables resewn on the new webbing. You can also take your belts apart and have all the metal piece rechromed and then send them out to the upholstery shop. Check the prices of some local shops and compare them to Snake-Oyl.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Snake Oyl's are $90/seat (2 belts) on an exchange basis. For the hassle/cost of rechroming and restitching, etc. it may be worth it. I'm still trying to justify it to myself as well ::

·
Registered
758 Posts
As for the audio stuff... I don't think it's worth the cost to have an AM/8-track restored to full functionality. If you want to keep it for the look, a cosmetic refurb and some minimal service to make it work is as far as I think it's worth going for a driver (or even a weekend show car).

Put a modern head unit in the glove box instead - use a repro box liner if your original is in good shape and worth saving. That frees you to put in whatever you like, on whatever budget you care to set, without being restricted to the rather expensive, rather crummy-quality units that fit Mustang dash openings. Try not to cut anything not available in good repro for speakers.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I'll second the vote for Ssnake-Oyl - I had my rear deluxe seatbelts done by them, and they look absolutely gorgous now ...

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys.

The chrome on the hard parts of the belts is junk, but the idea of rechrome and reweb locally is interesting. Gotta make some calls and see what I can do price-wise versus just shipping 'em to Ssnake Oyl.

On the radio, my car originally had the 8-track unit, which was long gone when I bought the thing. Fortunately, I found a cherry replacement at Carlisle back in.....about 1990. Cosmetically it's gorgeous, and the guy said "it worked, but the tape plays slow". I'm figuring it needs a belt for the 8-track. I definately want to keep it in the car, and I'm not a real audio nut, so sound quality isn't a big deal to me. An original exterior appearance with the chance to add on FM stations sounds appealing to me. We'll see, I have to get off my tail and do some barn cleaning and parts sellin' for funding and I'll get going on the car.

Thanks again,
Kevin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts