Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace my stereo when I'm adding a factory floor console to my 68 because the radio knobs that CJ Pony sells for a floor console won't fit my current Alpine stereo. CJ says that their console knobs only fit factory original radios, which they don't sell. They claim the knobs will not fit an aftermarket stereo. My floor console has not been cut up, so I really don't want to hack on it just to get a stereo to fit. Anyone have suggestions for a stereo I can install in my 68 factory floor console so I can use CJ's console knobs?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it installed in a 68 factory floor console? Did you have to buy any other radio knobs or did you use the knobs that came with the stereo?

·
Registered
328 Posts
The problem is the shafts are offset in the back on the factory and one is too deep for an aftermarket radio. Most people hacked the backs out to fit stereos in the 70s and 80s. I have a 68 console in fair condition that has a cut up radio plate and broken ear.
Best bet would be to buy one of the specialty radios. Or install a factory radio. And then hide an amp and Bluetooth input and run that two kick panel speakers basically having two systems

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Is it installed in a 68 factory floor console? Did you have to buy any other radio knobs or did you use the knobs that came with the stereo?
Mine is in a 69 vert. I got a replacement bezel (because mine was hacked) and the radio. I did have to do some minor surgery to the bezel, but nothing on the face of it. It looks nice and sounds nice too. The only complaint is there's no way to mount the front of the radio to the bezel. It's just held in place by the "band/bracket" on the back of the radio. But it's in and it hasn't moved.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
For the console the easiest thing might just be to find a factory 68 radio and have it converted to modern AM/FM/Bluetooth/etc. With anything else I think you're going to have to find or make some adapters to make the shafts long enough to reach the knobs.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you everyone for the responses. I just got off the phone with Custom Auto Sound, 1-800-497-0797, Tricia said that they sell stereos that will fit the 68 floor console! You just have to specify that the stereo is going in a 68 Mustang factory floor console, and they will send out modified knobs to fit! So I think I will order a USA-230 for $179 plus a $10 upcharge for the modified knobs. Tricia provided me a name and phone number to a distributor in my state to order from. I will repost once I get the stereo and see how it works!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Good stuff, been trying to find a better solution to the Kenwood stereo I installed in my 68 with factory console. Have been using the Kenwood outer knobs and living without the inners. This means I can't control the bass/treble and fader. Plus the knobs don't look right for the car. Am going to see if Custom Auto Sound will sell just the knobs. I don't see them on their website, so submitted a questions. Post pics when installed.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's a good idea to contact Custom Auto Sound and see if a person could just buy the knobs! Maybe a person could purchase the knobs for $10.....and maybe they would fit your stereo! Worth a try. After looking at mine, I too am considering just using the outer knobs and leaving off the inners. It would work, just not ideal.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Custom Auto Sound responded to my question and stated "we don't sell knobs". That's all they said and it was responded to at 9:00pm EST, so perhaps they are using offshore to handle these requests. I may call them during business hours to check for sure.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
The '68 center console is padded, and requires longer shafts or knobs. I just got this kit, but haven't put it in yet. It specifically says that it is good for the padded console.

·
Registered
231 Posts
The '68 center console is padded, and requires longer shafts or knobs. I just got this kit, but haven't put it in yet. It specifically says that it is good for the padded console.

Interesting. Does this kit somehow work with an existing radio? Share some pics of what's included please. I chatted with Retrosound just now and he said their knobs only fit their radios, will not work with other radios like my Kenwood. Looks like I will need to decide how badly I really want to have inner knobs...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looking forward to some pics! I'm starting to lean with you....how bad do I need the inner knobs?🤔

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Interesting. Does this kit somehow work with an existing radio? Share some pics of what's included please. I chatted with Retrosound just now and he said their knobs only fit their radios, will not work with other radios like my Kenwood. Looks like I will need to decide how badly I really want to have inner knobs...
Sorry, I should have added that I also got a Retrosound radio from NPD. It was less expensive than having my non-working original updated and I can just put it on a shelf.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I bit the bullet and ordered a Custom Auto Sound USA 230 with the knobs for a floor console installation. Will post again when I receive the stereo, hope this works and will look good as well!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Well, I bit the bullet and ordered a Custom Auto Sound USA 230 with the knobs for a floor console installation. Will post again when I receive the stereo, hope this works and will look good as well!
I have a feeling I am right behind you... Will wait to see your review, goo luck!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Received the radio just this week! Sure am hoping to get it installed over the next several days. Will repost once it's installed! Thanks for your patience.....I don't work too fast....too many other projects going on🙂

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
I found an original Ford AM/FM radio from the 70s and some original 68 Console knobs. (They weren’t reproduced until a few years ago). It fits in and looks perfect. The only visual difference is it has a slider for front/rear fading that wasn’t on the 68 radios. It’s starting to sound pretty crappy though so I’m debating on having it converted to modern internals. I may just try replacing the capacitors first.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Finally, the floor console is installed! The new stereo looks pretty good,fit well. Just don't forget to state that the stereo is going in a 68 Mustang with a factory floor console. They will include the special knobs that will fit the console for $10 more. The stereo used is a Custom Auto Sound USA-230. It sounds okay, not sure if the tuner will pick up a station I like to listen to about an hour away, but that's okay. The stereo comes with a cord that plugs into the back of the stereo with RCA jacks to a headphone jack that plugs into my phone. That auxiliary cord I just keep inside the roll-up door in the console and I can listen to my music from my phone. All in all, seems like an okay stereo. Main thing is that it fit the console!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Looks good, nice job on the install. Glad to know the knobs fit and work properly, thanks for reporting back!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts