Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have two AM radio's I'm not sure if either one of them works or not, but I can't get either one to even light up. The plug in the harness that I am plugging it into has three wires one yellow and two blueish colored ones ( I hope this is the right plug) , and the radio's both only have two wires on the part that plugs into the harness, one yellow and one blue... does any one have any simple tests that I might be able to do to check where the problem might be?
thanks
JAson

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
For most Ford radios, the blue wire with red stripe is the power to the light, the yellow wire right next to this wire is the power for the radio, sounds like the other wires you have are speaker wires-are these mid 70's radio's? The earlier radios generally had the speaker wires in one common plug end, the wires were black and black with green stripe in this arrangement. You will need an antenna hooked up to the radio for reception plus a speaker hooked up-you can experiment with the other wires and find out correct speaker outs polarity, I run a jumper from a test battery negative terminal to the radio case, then a jumper wire from test battery positive terminal to the light wire and power wire.Just be careful with the live hot wire and don't touch it to case also-you may want to have a fusible link it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts