Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Ford Edge SE. 4in screen, no backup cam but does have rear proximity alarm, base radio.

I bought the Metra bezel that has an integrated 4in screen but allows a double din radio install.

It came with a rats nest of wiring.

I spent 2 days sorting the wiring and putting the harness together. I bought a refurbished Kenwood Android DVD radio

After the install the 4in screen came on and ran through the setup. The radio powered on at the same time.

The airbag light was flashing and the radio powered off after about one minute.

The radio will power back up on its own, it will seem to be working, then goes blank. The air bag light flashes all the time.

I pulled everything out and double checked all the connections.

The only thing I can think of is that the radio grounds through the Metra harness

Im thinking that I might need a dedicated radio to frame ground.

Does this sound like a ground problem?

·
Registered
743 Posts
The air bag light my come from changing the impedance of the wire supplying voltage to the air bag. Did you tap into any wiring for your radio or did you have a plug-and-play harness? The computer wants to see about 3 ohms resistance from the air bag. when that changes, you get a warning light.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No factory wires were cut or modified.

I added a chassis ground and everything works, surprisingly my rear proximity sensor still works.

The new bezel includes the pass airbag and emer flashers in one unit, the oem ones were not reused with the new bezel.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts