Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While fooling around under the dash with the heater plenum, I traced the wiring from the aftermarket stereo the P.O. had installed. Currently the two hot leads run to the fuse box, and are just inserted at a fuse holder. I'm supposed to run one of them to a 12 V terminal which is energized at all times, and one to a 12 V power terminal which is energized with the ignition key in the accessory position. Where should I connect these? This is on the 68 coupe.
TIA,

James

1965 convertible "White Pony", my own lesson in mechanical humility
1968 coupe "Jedstang" for the soon to be 16 y/o boy<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by docstang65 on 04/22/01 06:56 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Doc,
Depending on the options on your car there are probably many opportunities. Four way flashers are hot all the time for instance (that lead's probably for the clock), but just get a two-bit tester and find the most convienient terminal off of your fuse panel to accommodate your two power leads, unless your really packing some power, then you ought to really not take from another circuit. A lot of Car-B-Que's have resulted from people putting bigger AMP fuses in spots designed for lesser amperages in their panels to drive stereos.

http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/Images/mustang01.JPG

"Sometimes a man's life can depend on a mere scrap of information."-The man with no name

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I agree w/ the previous poster, don't do anything that would require too high an amp fuse in the block... If you have so much power you need lots of amps (he he, my talon draws around 100 amps for the stereo at full draw) the best thing to do is to find a switched circuit (or if its an aftermarket deck, most have a low current switched output, be careful though, easy to fry it) and use it to energize a relay that draws power directly from the battery using adequate gauge wire (1/0 in the Talon, 10g in the 'stang) that has the correct amperage fuse within a foot of the battery, and I usually put another one at the amp/deck/EQ/what have you just as good insurance. Good luck!

-Jason

'72 Mach 1 || '90 Talon TSi AWD
http://nosaj122081.tripod.com/parade3.jpg
"Thats not a leak, my car's marking its territory!"
"If you've done it, it ain't braggin'." -Roy Rogers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts