Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe there is an original radio in my new-to-me 1966 convertible, however, it is not hooked up, and there are no speakers.

Thinking about sound system options:
1) RADIO - there's the Retro radios with bluetooth and USB ports, and iPod and accessory plugs, but jeez, the cost for a Retro radio with these options is maybe more than that for a REALLY high fallutin' stereo for "normal" cars (detachable face, remote, 30+ stored channels, GPS, USB, blue, SD card, etc).
So, I was thinking, what if I got one of the high-fallutin ones with a full-function remote, and mount it in a hidden location? ... but just keep the original stock radio in position for looks. (I don't want to cut the dash panel for a larger radio.)

What's the general concensus on non-retro radios, and any feedback and suggestions about hiding radios and radio choices?

2) SPEAKERS - when the previous owner restored this car, he omitted speakers. So, I was looking at options for aftermarket speaker locations (doors, trunk, dash?).
I'm sure many people on this forum have solved the sound system problem in numerous different ways , so I'm anxious to see/hear about options.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
You can get bluetooth receivers that will power speakers and be easily hidden, and then you run it from your phone. You can pull the original radio and have it re-gutted to have bluetooth and other stuff done, then it still looks original.
Back in the day I had 6x9s in the rear deck, and an AM/FM/Cassette with EQ mounted under the dash, and a 250 watt amp in the trunk. Don't need all that now, so I'm just using a good dual-voice coil 4x10 in the dash, and an Out of Sight Audio bluetooth receiver that is mounted on the back of my center console. Easy, works, no messing with original radio.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can get bluetooth receivers that will power speakers and be easily hidden, and then you run it from your phone. You can pull the original radio and have it re-gutted to have bluetooth and other stuff done, then it still looks original.
Back in the day I had 6x9s in the rear deck, and an AM/FM/Cassette with EQ mounted under the dash, and a 250 watt amp in the trunk. Don't need all that now, so I'm just using a good dual-voice coil 4x10 in the dash, and an Out of Sight Audio bluetooth receiver that is mounted on the back of my center console. Easy, works, no messing with original radio.
Are you saying that I might not need speaker wires also? (The whole concept of BT amazes me, but also is a black(blue) box to me).
Pic of the BT receiver mounted?

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Are you saying that I might not need speaker wires also? (The whole concept of BT amazes me, but also is a black(blue) box to me).
Pic of the BT receiver mounted?
I think I've heard of BT speakers, but I'm not using one, just a wire up from the receiver to the speaker, and one to the ground, which I connected to the back of the radio. Don't have any pictures of it. It's on the backside of the console with a small strip of velcro, in case I ever need to take it off. Box is small, maybe 2x4", and an inch thick.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Don't need all that now, so I'm just using a good dual-voice coil 4x10 in the dash, and an Out of Sight Audio bluetooth receiver that is mounted on the back of my center console. Easy, works, no messing with original radio.
DrHawkeye, I was just looking at that Out of Sight unit. Pretty interesting! I was curious though, how is the volume adjusted in bluetooth mode? Seems like it would only adjust volume though the connected bluetooth device?

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Biggest thing is you have a convertible, so you will need a lot of power if you want to hear the music blasting away.......
If it were me I'd be tempted to fit the factory door style speakers and run them with a dual speaker that fits where the factory dash speaker is/was. That with a Retrosound or bluetooth amp somewhere. You wont really hear any speaker mounted in the trunk unless you run some monster stereo, just too much metal and upholstery for the sound to pass. (I tried it on my other make convertible, in the end I just used a Retrosound and dash speaker, mainly because I didn't wan't to cut any holes in anything and I like the Retrosound for the stock look. It could use two more speakers somewhere, but I can still hear it on the freeway with the top down, not winning any audio contests but at least I have tunes). Another option if you don't drive around with people in the back much is to get something like a Turtlebox bluetooth speaker and just set in in the back seat.......
You can also get those kick panels with speaker cutouts and mount some there.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I did this with my 69 mustang you seal off the kick panel vents and install speakers in them

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
My dad has his own car stereo business that he’s been doing for 40 years. He’s repaired several radios for people on here and converted the old original radios to use iPod’s. His name is Loydd, give him a call at 309-676-8741. Or send him an email at the link in my sig.

·
Registered
188 Posts
My 66 Convertible came with an AM radio and 8-track player. It has speakers in the lower door section and the 4X10 in the dash. I left those item in place and put a JVC radio w/ BT in the glove box. I cut a hole in the rear of the repo glove box liner. Wire to the subwoofer in the trunk and put a 5" speaker in each of the kick panels (molded to hold a speaker; they come in limited colors so you may have to paint the panel to match your interior). I have a remote for the radio to do limited items such as change volume, advance the station or change the input source. Most complicated things require opening the glove box. They also make brackets to hold the radio suspended in the glove box.

All wires are hidden from sight by being in the dash, or going to the kick panel or run along the scuff plates to the trunk.
I like the original look, so left the dash alone and the kickpanels are a darker blue, so the black speakers blend in better.

My set up is about 4-5 years old, so advances may make the options smaller or more integrated with your phone.

You could add the door speakers even if it did not come with it. will require cutting up the door panel a bit. Also have heard of speakers in the rear quarters sections by the back window cranks. On some coupes people will install them behind the seats, but the convertible has the top that may interfere with that.

·
Registered
187 Posts
First congratulations on the car....you will LOVE it!!!! Years ago I had a simple Custom Autosound AM/FM stereo cassette player that looked decent, sounded decent and just worked. Then I tried to get fancy, and well, my audio experience has been varied for the last two decades.

As others have mentioned, you have quite a few options depending on your budget and your skill.

On the "oh my gosh, that is easy" route, you can just do as I am currently doing, and pick up a rechargable bluetooth speaker and set it on your dash, and play music through your phone. The downside of that is that it needs to be periodically recharged and it isn't a permanent thing. I have a Bose mini-sounddock, but you can get them as cheap or as expensive as you like. They are really portable, sound pretty good and when you leave your car, you just take it with you. The down side is that they are not hardwired to the car, and need to be recharged.

A step up from that is to permanently mount, perhaps in the original dash speaker holes, or even in a set of kick panels, a set of speakers that you somehow get power to and make them bluetooth. To someone with talent, I think that this would be somewhat easy. I personally do not have that talent. Then you could simply connect your phone to the speakers when you start the car. If you are going to get fancy, gut your current radio (or buy another 65/6 AM radio and gut that), and put the bluetooth receiver in that and use it as a switch...so that when you turn the radio on, it simply powers the bluetooth unit and the four speakers. If anyone wants to start an at home business to do this for a reasonable amount, please let me know!!!

The more traditional step that I am doing is to just buy a new, made-to-fit, Mustang stereo, in this case a RetroSound unit (because Custom Autosound SUCKS..say it with me!!), and hook it up to a 4 speaker set up...two small ones in the dash, and two in a pair of kick panel speakers. I am hooking it up to an amp in my trunk because foolishly years ago I put one there...so I have the wiring already set up. In reality, you probably don't need that. Fingers crossed, this should fit the bill for me.

The top of the line option, in my eyes, is to send your original radio out to a converter...for upwards of $500 they will gut your 50 year old innards and put in a brand new AM/FM bluetooth unit that will power the 2 or 4 speakers that you have in the car. It will look perfect and potentially sound amazing. If I hadn't done all of the foolishness that I did over the years, I probably would have gone this route.

Of course, you can just turn the radio off, put the top down and listen to the sounds of your engine as well...that sounds pretty good to my ears as well!!

Good luck and happy driving!!!

Tom

·
Registered
188 Posts
gregb is correct. The highway is tougher to hear and I turn the radio up. I primarily drive with the top down. It is easier to hear from the dash speaker then, otherwise during city driving, the kick panels are are easier to hear from.

·
Registered
35,867 Posts
You have two choices. You can get a 4x10 dash speaker and use your stock radio, or you can Get the $210 Retrosound Laguna. If you go with the Laguna, it is, like all aftermarket radios, 4-channel. Use a 4x10 dual voicecoil center speaker with the front channels, and kick panel speakers with the rear channels.

Reactions: ophthos

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I'd try hooking up the original radio. You might have stations that play oldies but goodies. I used to say my radio is stuck in the the 60's. I replaced the torn in-dash 4x10 speaker with a dual-cone speaker (small tweeter in the center) which gave a slight improvement in sound. Works fine for me.

Years later I added one of the then popular under dash FM convertors which I use to this day.

Happy.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I put a Retrosound head unit in my 66 vert along with a dual coil speaker in the dash. It is adequate for hearing but certainly not for rocking out.

·
Registered
835 Posts
My poor old car has had a few stereo, speaker, amp, sub, crossover combinations over the years. Currently sounds bad. Not sure I have the patience or desire to spend $ to sort it out right now. Thinking I may rip it all out, box it up, and put the original radio back in connected to the dash speaker. In the Explorer I often use the phone connected to a portable bluetooth speaker. I'm thinking that may be good enough for the Mustang given how often the radio is turned on.

The little alpine with the simple amp and a couple 6x9s back in the 80's was probably the best. (Hmmmm.... maybe start checking ebay for old shaft style stereos from the era)

Reactions: sishac

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I took a pic thru the windshield of the center of the dash where the dash speaker would go, and upon review of the pic, I see two circles about 4-5" diameter. Is it possible that is a speaker/s already in place? ...OR what are those 2 circles? Vents?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
I took a pic thru the windshield of the center of the dash where the dash speaker would go, and upon review of the pic, I see two circles about 4-5" diameter. Is it possible that is a speaker/s already in place? ...OR what are those 2 circles? Vents?
Looks like two 3 ½” speakers. That’s what I did to mine, custom to fit the existing mounting points.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looks like two 3 ½” speakers. That’s what I did to mine, custom to fit the existing mounting points.
So I better start looking for the speaker wires -- if there are any....
Radio does not work, so I just assumed the radio was inop.

Yet another project on the car that "does not require any work".

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I did as 22GT said. Retrosound stuff is good but their instructions leave a lot to be desired. I got the amplifier and mounted it in the trunk. Got the extension wires to hook into the radio but they weren't long enough to run thru the rockers so I had to run them along the trans tunnel under the carpet. Customer service was clueless when i called them for support.

Used their dual voice coil speaker in the front and added kick panel speakers and plugged them in as the rear speakers. Sound is OK, probably since I have low end Pioneer speakers. I originally ordered Retrosound kickpanel speakers and their high end speakers but the kick panels didn't fit. Not even close, and they were supposedly specific for a 66 vert. Problem was the passenger side speaker cone hit the fresh air vent. I returned them and ordered the kickpanels from NPD. They fit perfectly. When I get back from Thanksgiving, I'll post some pics of my set up.

·
Registered
167 Posts
If you don't have back seat riders, I've got a pair of Bose 101's. Black box and it blends right in to the black carpet(hasn't been stolen yet). Sound pretty good and they were cheap on Craigslist. They sit on the floor and I have about 5' of speaker cable if I want to put them outside for a picnic or something.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts