Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do all '66 Mustangs have a 'rag' joint? I just looked at mine which has power steering and it looks like the end of the steering column is directly interfaced to the steering box. Would the rag joint be visible or is it possibly inside the steering column? Just curious based on some of the previous discussions.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Pretty sure it didn't happen until 1967, and maybe part way thru 1967. Prior to that it's solid, also jokingly referred to as a 'spearomatic' for it's ability to come right back up at you in a severe collision.

·
Registered
9,882 Posts
Do all '66 Mustangs have a 'rag' joint? I just looked at mine which has power steering and it looks like the end of the steering column is directly interfaced to the steering box. Would the rag joint be visible or is it possibly inside the steering column? Just curious based on some of the previous discussions.
Late 67 got a rag joint
the thread By dobrostang an rag joint issue was because he has a Custom steering column with an electric power steering assist motor integrated into the shaft and he is using a later short shaft steering box. The short version is you don't have a rag joint in your 66

·
Registered
192 Posts

My '66 had a one piece steel rod going all of the way from the steering wheel directly through the steering box with no linkages of any sort. It was a pain in the butt to get out. I don't know if it makes a difference, but mine had a 289 originally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts