Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there...I was wondering if anyone used the Rain-X glass treatment? I bought the glass treatment(helps to repel the rain) and applied it to my windshield and back window. Last night when leaving work(it got a little chilly outside) the glass was "fogged" on the outside so I ran the wipers. Basically as soon as light would shine towards me all I would see was a haze in my windshield.

Any body else have any problems? Did I apply it wrong? Should I put anti Fog on the outside to?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
RAIN-X RULES you need rub out with a paper towel and look till you see a refection and find any spots that dint get buffed out kinda like waxing. looking at different angles helps.anti-fog is applyed in the inside windows. i love both and my wiper switch is broken and i never use them and its like its not even raining

·
Premium Member
2,636 Posts
I've been using Rain-X since 1978. Really.

The stuff is awesome. I live in the Seattle area and it rains here. A lot. Put on two coats and don't skimp on it. I ignore their recommendation to buff it out. What I do instead is wait for the RainX to haze up, and I get a paper towel just soaked with water and wipe the haze off the window. This will leave little beads of water. You can either run the wipers once to get rid of that or take a dry paper towel and dry the window, or just let it dry. If you think about it, buffing it off does what? I'll tell you - I think it removes some of the effectiveness of the stuff so you have to reapply more often. How convenient for them!

An important thing to note is that you should also clean your wiper blades off. This will egagerate the smearing effect that you describe. I just use a wet(WATER) paper towel (same one I wipe the windows down with post-RainX), and pinch the wiper blade gently between my fingers and run it up and down. It's amazing how gunked up your wiper blades get. If mine smear at all it's either that the RainX needs to be re-applied or I have dirty wiper blades or a combination of the two - or worn out blades.

The other thing that RainX helps with is ice scraping, and bug cleaning. Also night time visibility is greatly improved because you can see beween the little beads that happen to be on your window. At highway speeds you'll barely need to use your wipers. I use it on all windows and exterior mirrors for all my cars. Can't recommend highly enough.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
I just straight up wax my windows.....

If you already have the wax use it!!!
Carnauba wax works best......

leave a bit if a greasy film on windows...just use a terry towel to buff to a high gloss......talk about sheeting water!!!!

the teflon wax works better.

regards

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
The Rain X rain water repellant on the outside is great but the anti fog stuff for the inside totally sucks. I used in on SWMBOs pickup and it was greasy, couldn't see through because of glare and i had to clean the whole inside windshield with alcohol 4 times to get it back off. The anti fog just absorbs too much moisture and visibility is terrible in the winter...

·
Registered
923 Posts
Get the new Rain-X wax. It dries to a haze just lke wax and then you wipe it off. Its much better than the liquid.
Dave

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I travel about 1,000 miles per week in my job in an F-250 and use the Rain-X windshield washer solution. I buy it at Wally-World in gallon jugs and use it full strength. Each morning when I leave out I spray the washer for a few seconds to clean the glass of the morning dew. No glass preparation needed and it works great. When I drive in downpours I have to use the wipers and they do a much better job than they used to before I started using the stuff. By the way I bought a set of Bosch wiper blades 2 years ago and after almost 100,000 miles they are still in great shape.

By the way that truck is a '95 Power-Stroke Diesel with 360,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have used it twice before on different vehicles. Worked great on one and had the same problems you are having with the other. I really think alot depends on the condition of the glass and how clean it is. It was a real pain on the one that didn't turn out so good as that stuff really lasts.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I've used Rain_x for a long time ,too. I also use it on my face shield of my motorcycle helmet. If I get caught in the rain it is a real asset!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts